Proper way to set a tv cable?

Sal Lubrano

I already know how to set a tv cable on a GN.. My question is more directed to carburetor or fuel injection swaps where there is a different engine installed and the tv bracket has been fabricated. I drove in a g-body monte ss today with a 350 SBC and I was in 3 gear by like 10 mph. It also had no 2-1 downshift. So we adjusted the backet to tighten the cable. I guess we made it too tight because then Under light very throttle it took about 3500rpms to shift to 2nd and then 3rd was the same. Very late. But it did downshift whent the pedal was fully floored. Is there a good rule to follow when setting these. Another thing I noticed is the throttle lever. Where the tv cable is connected it makes a difference on how much distance the tv is pulled . The more to the end of the linkage it give the tv more travel. Is there a good way to set this all up? Basically what is the goal here when setting a tv.

If it's a fabricated bracket you may have to keep adjusting it until you get the firmness and shift points right. If you cannot get the shift points and firmness right by adjusting the cable you may have to bend the bracket a little and keep testing it until it feels right.

Once the brackets are where they are you have to use different length tv plunger springs and shims behind plunger to get the desired results.

I have had this issue with a 200R4 behind a 327 in a 68 Camaro with an Edlebrock carb, about the time I get the transmission shifting well for normal driving it will no longer down shift at WOT espcially the 2-1 and all upshifts are early. Then I adjust to get the 2-1 downshift to occur and all the upshifts are delayed and harsh. My pressures are good and I have a new 13 vane pump installed.

I am working on the geometry of the cable and the carb linkage and it is improving, but I am curious about Chris's comments on TV springs and shims. In my situation, would I start with the TV cable in the position where the 2-1 down shift occurs or where the normal driving conditions are good and then should I start adding shims(how many) and/or use a stiffer/softer spring?

Thanks for your help, I have been chasing this one for a long time. Overdrive and a lower first gear is great, but more than once I have seriously considered going back to the TH350...I want my camaro to shift like my GN does.

Thanks,
Greg