Pros & Cons of a Sheetmetal Intake

TurboTTypeWE4

ATR Turbo Buick
The new motor I am building I am trying to decide whether a sheetmetal intake will have a benefit. What are some Pros and Cons of a sheetmetal intake? I am looking at CAS, ANS, and a few others.

What the new motor will consist of:
TA Aluminum Block
TA Heads
TA Rods
TA Crank or if they don't get the deal will either be a forged or billet.
214/210 Roller Cam
45 Turbo
Kenny D intercooler
DFI as of right now and hopefully SpeedPro FAST setup.
Jimmy's Race Trans
Aluminum Driveshaft
33 spline rear

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

i would think a drawback would be cost when compared with cheaper options.

Sunday I got a goot look at Greg Kring's car. He is running low 9's in a full weight stage II street car with a converted 4bbl manifold and a stock appearing upper plenum.

You just planning for the future? Or did I miss something? Is there a date for the TA block yet? I look pretty much daily for an update on the TA block as I SHALL have one eventually. :)

Derrick

Oh, almost forgot the reason for the post. :)

I have the CAS sheetmetal intake. I don't know how much of a gain I got with it as the tranny let go on my first pass with it (but that's being taken care of). So right now, I would have to say Looks are the biggest advantage. :) They are pricey. But very impressive in design. But I think with the power plate and other mods coming to help the stock intake setup, I'm pretty sure most would say the sheetmetal intake is not real necessary (unlike a SBC or Ford intake where aftermarket adds a lot). But it definitely gets looks from others when you pop the hood.

Derrick

Originally posted by tazgn
Oh, almost forgot the reason for the post. :)

I have the CAS sheetmetal intake. I don't know how much of a gain I got with it as the tranny let go on my first pass with it (but that's being taken care of). So right now, I would have to say Looks are the biggest advantage. :) They are pricey. But very impressive in design. But I think with the power plate and other mods coming to help the stock intake setup, I'm pretty sure most would say the sheetmetal intake is not real necessary (unlike a SBC or Ford intake where aftermarket adds a lot). But it definitely gets looks from others when you pop the hood.

Derrick

Derrick since you have a CAS Sheet intake. What type of computer are you running with it? How long did it take you to get it?

Originally posted by Grumpy
I just went back to a stock intake....sheetmetals "look" nice ;)

http://hi-techperformance.net/tta02.JPG

Grumpy Why did you revert back to a stock intake?

I am looking for the future. Like everyone knows the parts are still in the works. After talking to Mike and Nick at Nats then talking again with mike on May 20th. Said it should be about 2 to 4 months for all the parts. That is if the place gets the machine of the block done. Mike is not doing that part.

As for looks it does look killer. Was also told since everything is equaled out that the air flow is a lot smoother instead of having turbulance but was also told to use FAST with it instead of DFI due to more flexiblity of the program.

My stock upper and lower intake are ported, polished, and gutted out so I might stick with that till I can gather more money.

I am running the FAST (Felpro) system with it. I've had that system for a couple years now and LOVE it. Best $2000 mod I've made. As for the intake... There is a pic of it on the car posted on my website listed below. It's actually a scanned polaroid, so quality isn't that great. I just got my new digital camera, and will be taking some real pictures soon for the site. Funny though you should bring up how long it took to get it. :)

When i ordered it I asked MULTIPLE times "was it in stock" and Tony said yep. He just had to fit up the brackets to it. Well, about a month later (maybe more) still no intake. I e-mailed and called and finally got a hold of him and said it "went out yesterday". I got it a few days later but it actually went out 2 days after he told me it went out "yesterday". AND, it was just the intake and 2 of the 4 fuel rail brackets. No brackets, not bolts to hold the top of the manifold on, no FPR. Basically just the shell of the intake. So I called him and toldhim and he said the other parts went out in a seperate package. A few days later I got another package. This time I got the bolts to hold the top of the intake on, and the FPR. Still missing 2 of the brackets for the fuel rails and the bolts to mount the fuel rails. Called again. He said sorry, and would send them out. I got them about a week later. Just saying it took a while for something that was "in stock", then 3 tries to get everything to me. But, on the bright side, the quality of the product is excellent (like his other products). It does fit under the hood with no modifications though. And you have to slightly modify the throttle arm on the throttle body for the cable to line up straight, but I knew of that before hand and is pretty simple.

Derrick

Scott we are putting the motor in a "beater" (Melissa's WE-4).....soooo off came the intake an headers and a 76 turbo....just want to run the car for the summer...put a "stock" intake & exhaust manifolds and a small turbo...

Hmmmm....NICE

I just got one word to add.....DAMN. :eek: That just LOOKS like a Beast! Daddy likes....:D

Art
How much of an increase did you see in power? What type of computer are you using with it?

Derrick
I figured I need to start planning this soon just incase it does take awhile. I need to look into ANS alittle more also. I was told they have one but I haven't seen it or heard about it.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Has anyone seen an improvement either dyno numbers or track numbers for before and after?

Art,
Looks AWESOME! You get it running yet? What did you do for the PCV setup? I'm basically going without it right now. I've been thinking about putting the PCV into a valve cover, but haven't gotten around to it. Also, where did you get the cool little turbo 6 emblem for the throttle bracket?? :) I really want to take the cover to mine and get a tazmanian devil air brushed onto it eating a late model mustang...... But, once again other priorities have taken over recently (Finally have a son to teach about TR's!! :) )

Derrick

Guys, thanks for the comments. I can't really quantify yet what, if any, gains there may be from the intake. As I told Tony, I didn't make the change expecting anything in that regard, just wanted to make a change to a sleek piece, and further confuse the Brand X'rs around here. It may contribute as my combo slowly improves. My numbers this year have been a little better, but that could be due entirely to losing a few pounds over the winter... from the car. There is no longer a local chassis dyno, so I can't make before and after comparisons other than time slips.

Scott, I use a FAST B2B. Derrick, I've made about 6 trips to the track this year, but snapped the input shaft in BG. Since I don't have two of everything :(, it should be running in another 2 weeks or so. I don't use the PCV; picked up the medallion at a swap meet and fashioned a mount. Good luck getting yours optimized and devilized.

Art
9.50 @ 143.3