PTS 9/11 problem?

Mark

I have a pre-billet PTS 9/11 converter that should be stalling at 3k-3200. I just rebuilt the trans and the pressures are good and the fluid looks fine. I'm logging using an ancient Turbolink setup, so the numbers are rough, but at WOT unlocked in 3rd I see 4900 rpm at 62 mph and locked I see 3125 rpm at 64mph. With a short 275-35x18 tire, that's 76% slip unlocked??? Locking the clutch brings it back to a more realistic number.

It'll hit about 3k on the brake. It drives fine and when you punch it, there's instant boost, so it's fun, it just can't be that efficient...

Something is wrong. Ill get right back to this after class. Placeholder post.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have a pre-billet PTS 9/11 converter that should be stalling at 3k-3200. I just rebuilt the trans and the pressures are good and the fluid looks fine. I'm logging using an ancient Turbolink setup, so the numbers are rough, but at WOT unlocked in 3rd I see 4900 rpm at 62 mph and locked I see 3125 rpm at 64mph. With a short 275-35x18 tire, that's 76% slip unlocked??? Locking the clutch brings it back to a more realistic number.

It'll hit about 3k on the brake. It drives fine and when you punch it, there's instant boost, so it's fun, it just can't be that efficient...
4900 is your flash stall and the highest slip will be at flash stall. your slip calculation doesn't seem correct.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators/

I plugged all his information into this calculator and got the same exact answer. There is no way he should be at 4900RPMs at 62 MPH, unless he is in second gear? I know I run my car to about 5k and I usually have the speedo pegged, then I lock the converter up.

Turbolink said it was in third. I assume a failure is unlikely unless some debris passed through the converter? There was no evidence of anything in the pan before the rebuild except failed clutch. I've had the pan off a couple of times since and still nothing.

60 mph is the wrong place to look at converter coupling (if you are going to compare "slip numbers")

right after the 2-3 shift the converter gets pushed back into its torque multiplication range, so you get a lot of speed differential, but its not all "slip".

On a powerlogger log you can see this because the RPM trace is real flat at the bottom of 3rd gear even though your MPH is climbing. All the 10" converters and conventional 9.5" converters I have tried were like this.

Do your comparison at the top of 3rd and see what the numbers show.

Bob

Mine is at 5500@65 if I don't get a 3-2 kickdown. It's at 5950@140mph. Peak power at 5600. You know what means if you were in the right lane next to me?

I like bruces pans an billet parts but ive never got his converters to work for me... sent 1 off 3 times

Mine is at 5500@65 if I don't get a 3-2 kickdown. It's at 5950@140mph. Peak power at 5600. You know what means if you were in the right lane next to me?

I understand now. Thanks for the information.

Thanks, I feel better now. I've had the converter for years and it feels odd now. Maybe overly sensitive after the transmission rebuild. Probably spending too much time with manual transmissions :)