Pullling engine

v6turboman

Im Yanking the motor in the very near future. I've followed the procedure for removal listed on the gnttype site. My question is it necessary to remove the hood to pull the motor? I'll be using a cherry picker. Also I have a load leveler, not sure if that will come in handy or not. Tranny is staying put.
Any advise appreciated.

i removed my hood just to give me more room. Its four bolts and two hood props, then you wont have to worry about hitting it or snagging the hood pad.

You do not have to remove the hood. Just detach the shock absorbers and tie the hood straight up.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 206
x2

You do not have to remove the hood. Just detach the shock absorbers and tie the hood straight up.

That's what I do also. Just remember to untie the hood if you roll the car away, DOH!!!!:eek: Not that I've done that before or anything... :biggrin:

I just pulled my engine and reinstalled it for the first time.i would take the hood off it leaves more room.also i would pull the trans with the engine .one of the hardest parts of putting it back in was getting the trans and engine to mate up.

I just pulled my engine and reinstalled it for the first time.i would take the hood off it leaves more room.also i would pull the trans with the engine .one of the hardest parts of putting it back in was getting the trans and engine to mate up.

Look at the picture. If the hood is straight up, it's as though the hood isn't there. I have pulled and installed motors many times and I don't think the trans/motor alignment is an issue. If you're not intending to rebuild your trans, I say leave it.

Its much easier to mate the trans, connect converter etc out of the car. I only crawl under the absolute minimum needed.

If you leave the trans in the car, when reinstalling the motor, do not put the motor mounts or headers on the motor until after you put the motor in and bolt it to the trans. This will give you a straight shot to line the motor up to the trans. Makes the install a lot easier. :cool:

Thanks again to all the replied. I decided to remove the hood, just for the fact that the hood is almost completely blocking the florescent tubes above
the engine compartment.

If you leave the trans in the car, when reinstalling the motor, do not put the motor mounts or headers on the motor until after you put the motor in and bolt it to the trans. This will give you a straight shot to line the motor up to the trans. Makes the install a lot easier. :cool:

Good tip! Thanks!

To line up later...

Thanks again to all the replied. I decided to remove the hood, just for the fact that the hood is almost completely blocking the florescent tubes above
the engine compartment.

You can drill a small hole through the hinge and hood on each side. Then when you need to put the hood back on use the drill bit as a dowell to line things back up where they were.