Pump gas dyno results and questions

Mark

I just got back from some baseline runs on 93 octane and a conservative tune with 30 psi. I've run more boost on the street without knock, so I'm sure there's more there.

441.9 rwhp and 486.2 rwtq.

Does the torque number look right. I expected more. On a run that shifted into overdrive I got

452.5 rwhp and 568.0 rwtq.

This is more like what I expected. Wouldn't overdrive numbers be lower? It was a Dynojet 248C.

Thanks,
Mark

I don,t know about your #s but mine were real close to the same on 93 with just 16# @ 21*.No alky either.Sounds like its pretty weak for 30# of boost.

I probably should have mentioned that it's a 100k mile unopened long block. With ported heads and 30 psi I probably would have left a good bit of the engine behind.

Really though, what's up with the OD numbers?

That would explain some of it.The boost guage is reading the boost built up in the intake trying to get in the cylinders.The actual boost in the cylinders is probably less than 30#.I think that is why it didn't scatter parts.

The overdrive #s were probably better because OD puts the motor under more load and turbos like alot of load on the motor. Still very good for an unopened longblock.Torque should have been more though I think.

I think most people ignore the torque numbers especially on the dynojet. My stock D5 gave me 525 once and the aftermarket converter only 485, depends on the roller parameters and setup program from what I've read.

HP is where it's at on the dyno. :)

Seems to be similar numbers from the calculator for my heavy cars last run at 27psi. on a stock longblock converting my track times over.

Calculator said 453 HP and I believe it.

I'd be happy!!!

I'm not sure how much more you can get without adding timing and all.

Mid 11 pass probably in a normal weight car with some traction. :)

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
That would explain some of it.The boost guage is reading the boost built up in the intake trying to get in the cylinders.The actual boost in the cylinders is probably less than 30#.I think that is why it didn't scatter parts.

The overdrive #s were probably better because OD puts the motor under more load and turbos like alot of load on the motor. Still very good for an unopened longblock.Torque should have been more though I think.

With the boost guage reading really high, how would you get a true reading of the boost in the cylinders?

I took a look at the Turbolink logs. O2 volts were a steady .83 through third gear. In overdrive it dropped steadily to about .79 by 150 mph. That accounts for some of the HP increase.

I think I'll lean it out a bit. Hopefully, I'll never find myself going 150 mph in a 17 year old Buick with stock brakes.

It's a 23/21 extender with +2* on the trans+. I think I'm ramping it down about 1.5* at redline.

I'm going to lean it out and not ramp the timing down next time. I'm pretty sure there's 500rwhp there with a little more work.

What's an efficient range in which to run a TE-61? At what point do I leave the boost alone and just increase timing? I've always had the impression that boost makes more power, but I'm not sure of the limits.

Thanks,
Mark

thats doing something

my mods are in the sig

i made 360 hp 475 TQ @ 18 psi @ 18 degrees of timing

You sure your knock sensor is plugged in?
I get knock at 25psi and 21* timing with my TA-61.....on 110 octane