Pump gas timing map for Holley?

May need more IAC. Whats your counts at idle full ops temp in park and in gear?
Running, in gear with AC on, about 15-20%. Idle in neutral with no AC is about 6-7%. I can't figure out whats up with it. It's idling pretty well at 725, 13.2 afr and 17* timing at the moment, but there is still a little roughness to it and the rich smell is pretty potent when I start it in the garage. I wonder if maybe the intake is still leaking and causing issues. When I got the car, the intake was drenched in oil, I did a new intake gasket, removed the PCV and it got drenched again. Found other issues with the motor so I pulled it, had it freshly machined, new pistons, 206 roller and brand new casting Champion ported heads. Put it back together, noticed a rough idle, jumped through every hoop I could think of to get it dialed in with no luck. Pulled the doghouse and the lower was drenched with oil again. Removed it, and did a new gasket with right stuff on the ports (at the advice of my machinist and Cottons). Idle was night and day improved but not perfect, so back to the tuning...

I pulled the doghouse again last week and the intake was wet again, but nowhere near what it was before so either it was residual or it's still leaking slightly somewhere. ALMOST wonder if that's why it gets worse with more timing or higher idle- more vacuum causing a cylinder or more to idle lean? If it is leaking again, the intake is getting tossed in the trash and I'll get a Champion for it. The intake and injectors are the only real carry over parts from the old motor and I had a friend clean and check the injectors and they were fine. I'm stumped.

(snip) As for Cal, I had called them about tuning the car and getting a basemap emailed to make the drive to him with and they never returned my call :(

I'm sorry to hear this. It looks like you're getting it sorted out. My new Dyno is going to be up and running in a few days. Please contact my cell at 321- 863- 2303 if you need any more assistance.
Although, I don't like people posting my tune information, hopefully it was helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear this. It looks like you're getting it sorted out. My new Dyno is going to be up and running in a few days. Please contact my cell at 321- 863- 2303 if you need any more assistance.
Although, I don't like people posting my tune information, hopefully it was helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
It happens when you're busy, I understand. As for the map, it was practically spot on to the number with the map that was in my car when I got it fwiw :). I had to pull a bunch of timing though as I was getting audible knock at anything over 15-16* at 17 psi. I'm about 9:1 though and am running a small TE34 turbo. Been wanting to upgrade that but love the fast spool for normal street driving!

Oil in the cyls will do that............
Yup! Thought for sure that it was resolved with the intake gasket being replaced and sealed with right stuff this time. If it is still getting oil, I have no idea where it can be coming from at this point unless the intake is just warped somehow. It hasn't ever been cut, neither has the deck. Just the heads from Champion but they were brand new bare castings, so it's only minimal, not like they've been worked dozens of times.

Then again, I have not checked the intake again since last week when I found the oil in it again and cleaned it. Haven't tried to up the timing again since then either, so maybe I got lucky and it was just residual coming from the head ports and is gone now, but that's rarely the case with my luck..

Is pcv sucking oil?
No, PCV was removed early on in this situation to rule it out. It was just added back in about 2 days ago and relocated to the front of the passenger side valve cover since it is baffled. Not the turbo either, already been ruled out. I wish it was something that easy and obvious :(. I've heard stories of it getting past rings and back into the intake but it'd have to be pretty bad for that to happen I'd think and none of the plugs have any signs of that much oil getting into the cylinders anymore (they did before I did the intake gasket this last time). It can only be from the intake itself, the intake gasket (again, even with right stuff sealing it?) or the heads but it doesn't puff at startup like intake guides or anything and while I know even the best make mistakes, I just don't see it being as how they were brand new bare castings and done by Champion.

Now that the PCV isn't going back into the intake, I am debating on pulling it again to check the gasket and such and maybe just trying the thicker TA Performance gaskets for the hell of it if it is leaking- or just tossing it completely and going a different route at this point.

Last edited: