push rod length

Dave

Concerning length ..........What is the largest variance between push rods installed in a 109 w/iron heads,comp 210/215 roller w/ Morel lifters and Cometic head gaskets or a similar build.

Just wondering what you guys have seen in some of your builds.

Thanks

After decking/resurfacing I would think you would go a little shorter. You know head gasket thickness will also play a roll. If there was area for concern, the builder should have measured for propper preload.

Variation from one valve to another can be blamed on a less than perfect valve job where some valve tips are higher than others.

Time for some adjustable roller rockers. ;)

Thanks Guys,

I am aware of why we have variances and how to correct them. If I had an engine out of the car I might consider adjustable roller rockers. I think with most roller kits the push rods are shorter due to the additional height of the lifters. I want to know what builders have seen with there builds.

Dave,

It's fairly simple to measure push rod length even with the engine in the car. Thats the only way your really going to know for sure.

If you have time one night, give me a call and swing by. We can measure here.

Crane says .020" to .060. I don't remember my exact measurements but they were all pretty close.

Roller rockers just sold on e-bay for $230. That was tempting!!

I think in my case the 8.222? will work for me but I have a 140 block.
Seems that I read guys needing shorter than that with a 109.

From my limited experience... I used a checker pushrod and found negligible differences in correct length. Shooting for the middle of the preload range put all the preloads well within the tolerance on mine. You can pretty easily check all of them in 30-45 minutes, but If they look the same on a couple different valves on each head, you are probably OK to just add your preload number to the longest measured.

Rick,
I measured them on the car last week and I am waiting for delivery. I was just curious what other peoples experiences were. I wound up with three different sizes. If the heads were off I might consider roller rockers as I would not modify the pedestals on the car as it sits now.