Question about fuel tank and installing Walpro FP

mytta49

Hi
I recently ordered a Walpro FP and a hotwire kit, but have not installed either yet. I was told by my mechanic that someone must have had the tank out at one time and mangled and bent the hell out of it.
So, he ordered a new tank (aftermarket) which I just received. Being new to this, I checked the tank and it has one large hole in the top of the tank in the middle. Is this the right type of tank or is it suppose to have two holes, one for the sending unit and one for the electric fuel pump ? I happened to be looking in Year One and they list two tanks for the 89, one is a 14 gallon with two holes and one has no description other than fits 89
Basically I dont know if this one hole is the right tank and if it is, how does the fuel pump get mounted to the tank ?

the tank has one large hole in the center on top. your fuel pump mounts in that hole, with the sending unit.

you will just take the entire assembly out of your old tank, and replace the fuel pump and install the entire assembly in the new tank.

do not use the factory pulsator (i think thats the right term) when you replace the pump. use the short piece of fuel line that is supplied along with the small hose clamps on each end.

also, when you put the entire assembly back in, make sure your float isnt stuck in the upright position or your guage wont work correctly.

also, you will more than likely have to bend the neck of your new tank somewhat to get it back in the car.

this is a very time consuming project, but if you take your time, and be patient.....it will all come together nicely.

good luck

As TTAfreak said there's a reason it was bent. I have nho idea how GM got the tank in there and ever planned on getting it back out without bending it. If I were you and there are no problems with your current tank I would send the new one back and keep the original. It should be bent just right to get it in and out easily and you won't have to struggle with bending the new one to get it in. I completely dropped the rear end and disconnected everything on the passenger side and I still had to bend it (the tank was hitting the floor pan or the hole for the neck). It's a very time consuming project and who ever does it I can almost garuntee they'll never want to do it again.

It's a very time consuming project and who ever does it I can almost garuntee they'll never want to do it again.

no truer words have ever been spoken.

and I HAD TO DO IT TWICE because I didnt take my time and read.

:rolleyes:

listen to them

All i can say is this is something you only want to do once as i had to do it twice as first pump was bad. I had a lift and one other person helping...took about 4 hours first time taking time...about 2 the next time....had to drop the rearend...the neck was a bit of a pain....

Originally posted by TTAfreak
do not use the factory pulsator (i think thats the right term) when you replace the pump. use the short piece of fuel line that is supplied along with the small hose clamps on each end.

2nd that, Walbro is shorter than stock pump. Pulsator can slide to one side of the steel fuel line on the hanger assembly and off the pump side just enough to create a leak, i.e. flow but no pressure.

Tanks can be dropped without bending the neck whatsoever.

Its all a matter of the angle fo the dangle :)

Try rolling it towards the front of the car while dropping the pass side down.

Seems to be the most common spot. I spend about 45 min getting to it then I call my 5'4 freind who can drop it on the first try every time lol.

45 minutes later I'm on the road again.

I've got to 91 and an 89 and they all are Walbro equipped

later
Jeremy

Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
Tanks can be dropped without bending the neck whatsoever.

Its all a matter of the angle fo the dangle :)

Try rolling it towards the front of the car while dropping the pass side down.

Seems to be the most common spot. I spend about 45 min getting to it then I call my 5'4 freind who can drop it on the first try every time lol.

45 minutes later I'm on the road again.

I've got to 91 and an 89 and they all are Walbro equipped

later
Jeremy

your friend is a hell of a magician.

I can do it too sometimes.

I think his blessedness in the event that literally he is 5'4 and I'm 6'6. I yank a radiator in a F-body and he can literally climb in the engine bay :)

Same with the fuel tank, when its in the air he can get his whole body into the cavity and see what he is doing when he pops it out.

If you find the angle its actually quite easy, it literally falls out after that.

Works out great for stuff, he can actually slide under a stock ride heigth f body, I've seen it.

later
Jeremy