Question for anyone running a 9 inch rear....

ONE_QUIK_6

Still lookn' for a recipe
I am looking to buy a car that has a nine inch rear end in it. Right now the axles have the 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern, but the rear brakes are ford style with the drums drilled to match the axles. What kind of brakes are people running??? Is there a junkyard set up that will work on the 9 inch? I would prefer to use some sort of GM brakes so as I don't have to re drill the drums every time I have to change them. Rear discs are also not out of the question, but again would like to stick with the GM bolt pattern without expensive hard to find parts.
Little drawn out, sorry

Zak

Considering you're only gonna need new drums every 100,000 miles or so, I'd stick with whatcha got.

Originally posted by ONE_QUIK_6
I am looking to buy a car that has a nine inch rear end in it. Right now the axles have the 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern, but the rear brakes are ford style with the drums drilled to match the axles. What kind of brakes are people running??? Is there a junkyard set up that will work on the 9 inch? I would prefer to use some sort of GM brakes so as I don't have to re drill the drums every time I have to change them. Rear discs are also not out of the question, but again would like to stick with the GM bolt pattern without expensive hard to find parts.
Little drawn out, sorry

Zak
To answer your question, all the people I know that are running 9 inch rears in their TR's are using Wildwood disk brakes.

I have the 11" rear drums on my GN's Ford 9". Drums should last almost the life of the car I would think so I would just leave them on there.

Moser also has flanges that allow using GM brakes (using the 64-77 A body 4 bolt style flange) and allow the pressed on Ford bearing. They are the same diameter drums as the stock 78-88 G body set up plus they dont require redrilling which is especially nice if you are on the road somewhere and need a drum.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will just stick with the redrilled drums and maybe have an extra set made up for those what if type of times.

Zak

I ran a 9'' in my old car w/3:90 gears, car would launch incredibly hard (1.50-60ft) but gearing was too short, and taps would suffer. Later I went back to a stock rear end w/stock gears,low and behold traps went up 4 mph and 60ft times only went up to 1.59. That was 10+ years ago though, I'm sure things have changed alot......right?

Originally posted by colby
I ran a 9'' in my old car w/3:90 gears, car would launch incredibly hard (1.50-60ft) but gearing was too short, and taps would suffer. Later I went back to a stock rear end w/stock gears,low and behold traps went up 4 mph and 60ft times only went up to 1.59. That was 10+ years ago though, I'm sure things have changed alot......right?
What tires are you running? Your gearing needs to match your HP level. My car makes all its’ HP down low. 954HP @ 5850 and 970 ft/lbs @ 4800 when dyno'd on kill mode (29.5 psi) at the flywheel. I run 373 gears but with 29.5 " tires so my gearing is actually higher than stock. Crappy suspension will only handle about 14-psi max and that's netted a best 60' of 1.42. A little off for the car as I think it should short in the 1.3's but with just adjustable uppers and lowers, air bags, stock sway bar and full weight car I'm not really complaining. Eventually I'll save enough to put on either the HR Part's and Stuff bar or a Wolfe type bar. That should definitely help! Lightening up the all-steel car wouldn’t hurt either. :cool: