Question for Jersey GN owners

cam9457

Ryan
Got a question for the Jersey Gn owners. I just moved to New Jersey a few months ago. Finally got another project GN but I'm wondering how I should register it or if there are any options as far as classic tags or anything? I don't know how the inspection process works here which is another big concern because I'm planning on running a test/dump pipe. Do classic cars have to be inspected here?

for standard tags theres no inspection for mechanical and starting may no inspect for emmissions on 1995 and older cars
register it historic plates (collector insurance) and theres a one time fee of 44.00 for the tags and thats it .. no inspection and renewal every three years is free

running a test pipe is not optional . many do and i havent heard them ever get hassled but .if you had one (and the 87 did) .you could still find yourself at a roadside checkpoint even though you dont have to inspect you are supposed to have a cat .you should run one even if it doesnt work .

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I was reading online that the historic tags have some "limitations" on when you can drive the car and for what reason. Do you guys get hassled for just driving your historic tag car like to work or whatever? So I guess it would be really tough to get away with a dump pipe here in NJ?

I ran an open dump for years with no problem. I capped it up a fews years ago cause I got tired of a loud car (read that as getting old)

historic should not be used for work , your collector insurance on it would also limit you against that use
if you wan to drive to work register it standard . pay the reg fee around 70 buck every year and thats it get agreeed value insurance an make sure theyll cover you using it for travel to work

historic should not be used for work , your collector insurance on it would also limit you against that use
if you wan to drive to work register it standard . pay the reg fee around 70 buck every year and thats it get agreeed value insurance an make sure theyll cover you using it for travel to work
I think I would want to register standard because I'd like to drive it when and where I want without restrictions but then would I have to have it inspected every year? I don't intend to keep it stock and I'd really like to do away with the cat

Greg any issues with inspection?
Honestly I still have the car registered in pa, but used to always put the cat back on for Pa. Inspections. My buddy's shop does it so he lets me skip putting it on now since he knows I pull it off as soon as I get home.

Honestly I still have the car registered in pa, but used to always put the cat back on for Pa. Inspections. My buddy's shop does it so he lets me skip putting it on now since he knows I pull it off as soon as I get home.
Yeah that's what I always did in PA, I just know Jersey does things differently