Question on stock location intercoolers?

robertf

I currently have a Tony Dequick SLIC. It has 2.5 inlet/outlets. I'd like to eventually move to a SLIC with 3' inlet/outlets. Any suggestions on the best available today? Thank you.

Don't think you'll see much of a difference, I'd consider it a waste of money.

I agree with Pronto, not really a gain for the money. But if you do it anyway I would be interested in your dequick.

we have run both .. What is done to your car ?? How fast you looking to go ?? Oh we used the V4s in both the cars in my sig.

we have run both .. What is done to your car ?? How fast you looking to go ?? Oh we used the V4s in both the cars in my sig.
Stock bottom/cam. Champion heads/portmatched Champion intake/alky/5.7 chip for alky/70mm TB. It's always bothered me with the reducer coupler hoses. I figured at some point I could get everything to 3 inch for a nice
uninteruppted flow to the TB. Sometimes I just set and brainstorm.

Sometimes I just set and brainstorm.

Measure the total length of all your 'undersized pipes'. Then take the 4.9 square inches of the 2.5 pipes then bump it up to 7 square inches for the 3" pipes. Multiple that by the length, then....

All the additional square footage will give you a guess on how much longer it'll take to get boost at the intake valves.

Measure the total length of all your 'undersized pipes'. Then take the 4.9 square inches of the 2.5 pipes then bump it up to 7 square inches for the 3" pipes. Multiple that by the length, then....

All the additional square footage will give you a guess on how much longer it'll take to get boost at the intake valves.
I never thought of it that way. I actually figured the opposite.

Yep. Boost is a compression wave that starts at the turbo and ends at the intake valve. Bigger pipes are only good if the current pipes are a restriction.

Otherwise it's just extra area that has to be compressed before the engine gets it.

The easiest way to decide on an upgrade is by the ''chasing the cork'' method. Somewhere between the air filter and the exhaust tip is one section that's the most restrictive. That's where to concentrate.

When that cork is addressed, a new one appears.

Cycle repeats itself.

Yep. Boost is a compression wave that starts at the turbo and ends at the intake valve. Bigger pipes are only good if the current pipes are a restriction.

Otherwise it's just extra area that has to be compressed before the engine gets it.

The easiest way to decide on an upgrade is by the ''chasing the cork'' method. Somewhere between the air filter and the exhaust tip is one section that's the most restrictive. That's where to concentrate.

When that cork is addressed, a new one appears.

Cycle repeats itself.

I seriously laughed outloud reading this.