quick question about the GN's stock motor

gojoe

Are any components of the stock motor forged or are all the parts cast and which parts to replace while you have the motor out and opened up. Basically what are the weak parts of the motor and about what hp can you get out of the stock parts.

thanks

forged pistons are a good idea. if you plan to make lots of power billet caps or a girdle is also a good investment. the rods are pretty tough. you could get them shotpeened if you'd like but its not necessary. as long as the crank is in good shape then don't worry about it either.

clif notes: forged pistons. good head gaskets.

cast iron crank ,rods, heads ,main caps

pistons are cast aluminum with a steel reinforcement

depending on how fast you want to go stock parts can go a long way providing you watch your tune , but this hold true for the good parts as well , get the tune wrong and detonate and even good stuff breaks , but doing the pistons and the mains /girdle extends the safe tuned HP limit

my 86 is stock parts except for arp studs on the heads and a different profile cam ,

thanks for the info. do you know how much hp you can get out of the stock parts?

Take a look at:Gn TType Web Site
There are pictures and descriptions of parts, along with the "performance recipes" of mods needed to get to various performance levels. Without ever tearing into the engine, you can get well into the 11s. The stock block, with some reinforcement, and stock crank and rods can get you into the 9s. At least it has gotten some people there! :)

gojoe said:
thanks for the info. do you know how much hp you can get out of the stock parts?

Not a question of how much but how long :D

Times in sig were done on stock bottom end. This past Sat nite ran 10.64 on stock pistons, rings, crank, rods, main caps, bolts, etc..Only hi-po thing is a roller cam and double roller chain in the block. Rest is all GM :)

Heads are Champion ported.. and yes the tuneup comes from an aftermarket DFI(FAST) so I know exactly where things are..

HTH

when i worked for g.m.....the original g.n cranks where a different part #...then they changed and went with the same part as a 231 carb v-6....becareful with a g.m one...i still keeped an original g.n one brand new in the box.... :D