Racing for dummies

captndave737

I've been looking through the racing threads, TSO, TSM, TS....whatever, bracket racing. As someone who has never raced (a car) I'm lost!! I think there should be a sticky at the top of all brackets with all the current rules.

I need a how to. What should I race in? I'm assuming bracket. What equipment is needed? What's prohibited? How and where do I register? Are there time trials? Do you do a burnout on street tires? Damn, how do you do a burnout? How do you practice? What's it cost to run? Do you need to join an organization? Who's the regulating body? The NHRA? Exactly how does bracket work? What's the difference between a Pro tree and others? I have an inkling but not an understanding.

I think a lack of understanding on how to get started is probably keeping a lot of people out of the sport. I know it keeps lots of sailors from racing their boats which is hurting my other sport and I'm working on fixing that. I think someone needs to step up and Put it all together.

Sorry for the rant:dead:

I would say first off go to the local track and watch some racing, how the tree works, how the racers pull up and how long of a burnout they do. Talk to guys in the pits. Find out how many psi in their tires, when they shift, how many rpm they launch. I would probably get comfortable with the scene before I start bracket racing. If anything go on a slow test and tune night and just make some passes. I've been to the nj tracks 1,000 times spectating and the first I raced I was so pumped up and nervous, I thought my heart was going to explode!!!!!! You'll for sure be addicted.

Join a local car club. You will meet members who know about racing and can give you face time on what to do. I had someone take me and coach me the first time I went. It doesn't take much. Then just do alot of searches on topics you are interested in and you will find answers that way also.