Radio Delete but Still Have an Aux Jack?

BigReade

Buick City Boy
Has anybody considered this option? My factory head unit was the one thing missing from my car when I bought it, they had replaced it with an aftermarket detachable face unit, and lost the face.

So I've given consideration to just doing a radio delete panel, and using it to house my oil pressure and water temp gauges. But I'm a music lover and don't want to go without any sounds, so I'm thinking of mounting an aux jack in the panel as well, and a volume control knob, both of which would be connected to my amp, therefore allowing me plug my phone in and utilize that as a music source.

Just wondering if anyone else has either done this, or considered anything of the sort?

Sounds like a good plan. The amp volume control is not needed though if your source (phone) has volume control. I have seen people talk about this but have never seen pics of it in a TR. I thought about this route but found a near mint factory with 5 band eq at a pick n pull. I added aux input to it and put an iPhone Dock in my ash tray and am very happy with it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks man! My only thought with the volume control is it will be a little more precise than that on my phone, which increses/decreases in "blocks" so to speak (not quite as gradual). I wish I had the stock head unit, I would just do the aux jack then, for the original factor. But, I figure this will give me a clean way to mount these 2 gauges, as my car is the bench seat model, so I don't have the console to run the 2 gauge setup I see lots of people running. I'll be sure to post pics as I make progress.

Have you all ready installed your gauges? I don't know what year your car is but I have a factory for 84-85 I think. It has the orange power button but I swapped the silver knobs for black at the salvage yard. The only issue I had with it was when fading from front to rear it would make static, and I never tried the tape player. My dad's 85 t type has this type of radio factory. I only switched when I found a factory 86-87 match in near perfect condition in a Riviera. I would let you have this for $20 plus shipping or $30 plus shipping with aux input added to it.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1396121550.758636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1396121584.159909.jpg

I really appreciate that man, but my new gauges just came in today, and I ordered the radio delete already. But again, thank you!

When I first started my upgrade I thought about just running a 3.5mm plug, wiring the stereo into my sub box and use my ipod and the remote that comes with many new decks.

I never thought about that, that would be a good idea
You could just run the plug into your console (or glove box)
that way it all is out of site. And the remote is small enough just to toss in your ashtray. If its not occupied with switches.

Have you all ready installed your gauges? I don't know what year your car is but I have a factory for 84-85 I think. It has the orange power button but I swapped the silver knobs for black at the salvage yard. The only issue I had with it was when fading from front to rear it would make static, and I never tried the tape player. My dad's 85 t type has this type of radio factory. I only switched when I found a factory 86-87 match in near perfect condition in a Riviera. I would let you have this for $20 plus shipping or $30 plus shipping with aux input added to it.
View attachment 218813
View attachment 218814

so do you still have this radio? Encountered some unexpected difficulties and now going a different direction. Interested in learning more about it if you still have it handy

I sure do, fire away with questions or tests I should run. Bear in mind I am right in the middle of moving so it might be a week before I can unpack the stereo and get an aux input hooked up.

View attachment 218813
View attachment 218814

Do you still have the radio?

I sure do, fire away with questions or tests I should run. Bear in mind I am right in the middle of moving so it might be a week before I can unpack the stereo and get an aux input hooked up.

Once you set the fade where you want it, does the static go away and have good sound coming from the speakers? I'm in no hurry, so if you need some time to move and get settled, that is fine!

Has anybody considered this option? My factory head unit was the one thing missing from my car when I bought it, they had replaced it with an aftermarket detachable face unit, and lost the face.

So I've given consideration to just doing a radio delete panel, and using it to house my oil pressure and water temp gauges. But I'm a music lover and don't want to go without any sounds, so I'm thinking of mounting an aux jack in the panel as well, and a volume control knob, both of which would be connected to my amp, therefore allowing me plug my phone in and utilize that as a music source.

Just wondering if anyone else has either done this, or considered anything of the sort?

I literally had that same thought, down the amp, a couple of days ago. I decided just to go with the original style radio and hook an aux jack up to it...I think either way it would be pretty cool :cool:

I literally had that same thought, down the amp, a couple of days ago. I decided just to go with the original style radio and hook an aux jack up to it...I think either way it would be pretty cool :cool:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do now, after a couple gauge malfunctions. I'm just gonna do the factory radio and aux jack

Sorry for delay but I got it out today and hooked it up. It does have an issue if you fade to rear the fronts will cut out by just touching the knob. If you put it full front or right in the middle it's fine but I will take it apart and clean the fader rheostat. Since it is most likely that a good alcohol cleaning might make it like new again. Sunday latest I will give the verdict.

I finally had time to get at it. Took the radio apart, cleaned up a little dust and blew it out then resoldered all the joints on the board. There is still crackling when you fade it but the fronts don't cut out till about where it should. Just let me know if you still want it, not upset if you don't.