Ran into a worked SRT-4 today...

NJVetteGuy

I'd rather be racing...
This kill was in my C5, but I figure I'll put out a fair warning so nobody gets surprised. There is a local guy running a modded SRT-4, and has outright smoked quite a few of the local "quick" cars. I was told the guy called me out, so we wandered around until I found him tonight(actually he drove past where we were all hanging out). I hopped in my car and caught up to him, and pulled alongside. I saw him look over, then reach down for something(I'm assuming a boost controller). We slowed to about 35, and went on my 3rd honk(he actually jumped the gun but it was ok). I caught up from the 1/2 car he jumped me, but by the time we hit 100 I only had 2 cars on him. Apparently he wanted to try again, so he waved me behind him and took the next u-turn. I pulled up alongside once again, he asked me what my car runs. I told him 12.3-12.4 to see his reply, and he says "my turbo is sucking in all this humid air". So I asked if he wanted to go from a dig, he said he'd spin. I told him I would too, but he wanted to go again from a 20 MPH roll. My 3rd honk and we're off again, but without him jumping the gun. We ran to 120 and I had him by about 4 cars, but this was a hell of a lot more than I expected from a Neon. So be careful, stockers, there may be more of these modded cars out there and ready to rumble. I think if the aftermarket caters to these cars a little more, I might not be so lucky the next time.......Unless I have more mods or a GN myself:D

Some of those SRT's are getting fast. My friend has one that should be mid 12's. Last time to the track it 13.4, but since then we have added a turbo wheel upgrade, stage 2, and a Perrin intercooler. He is nipping on my heels:eek:

SRT-4's

There are so many of those cars locally(s.fla) it is nuts. Most are in the 13's, but there are a few exceptions.(12's maybe high 11's) The platform is very cheap to start with, and upgrades are not that expensive. I think a ~ 110 trap car is attainable with some exhaust mods/WG/upgraded intercooler. Some are even spraying a small shot, and getting into the 112+ range with a stock turbo..

SRT4............

Yeah those cars are great, not only are they a 4 door (easy access to the back seat heh, heh, heh) but they also, get good gas mileage 21/29 i think... and they are sleepers to the untrained eye, I know, my bro has one, Said he woulda bought a GN but he wanted a NEW reliable car that had 0 miles on it, also two days ago he got his stage II in, but he has to wait til monday for it to be installed, heh heh, we've played with a few LT1s, but so far stock, hes no match for an LS1, however hope to change that with his Stage II and his qualife LSD, and tires.... Azenis, but yeah all is well, not sure what he will put down,.. im Expecting around a 13.2-13.4 if im not mistaken, but hey never know,

- Cody

I've put about 5100 miles on my black 04 SRT-4. While its a quick car, it SUCKS from a dig (Me still learning how to launch it prolly doesnt help Heh heh). Torque and FWD aren't a very good combo on street tires on a car with soft motor mounts.... can u say WHEEL HOP FROM HELL?

Owning both an SRT and a GN I spose I have the best of both worlds. Beware tho guys; the SRT can be modded to the hilt without giving any visible indication. They can be scary from a roll (Specially 45 mph / 3000 rpm in 3rd.). If yer thinkin bout linin up with one; do it from a stop.

On another note ... took the GN out lastnight / tonight for the 1st time in about a month. BOY did i miss her! Nice to be in a car with REAL power! 5 psi in the GN feels like 10 psi in the SRT! :D I couldn't wipe the sh!t eating grin off my face!

Well I finally ran into the same guy sitting at a red light about 2 weeks ago. I saw he was on drag radials, so I didn't feel bad about being on ET Streets. The light changed, and it was a pathetic race from a dig, like shooting someone in the head while they're tied to a pipe in your basement. Those SRTs suck from a dig, from a roll I guess I was in his territory but he got killed either way.

SRT-4...

I went to our local 1/4 mile track today & watched a stock SRT run a 13.85 (he ran under 14 seconds all day). That's not too bad for a 4-banger with front-wheel drive. It's a solid platform for under 20k.

Re: SRT-4...

Originally posted by Cool87GN
I went to our local 1/4 mile track today & watched a stock SRT run a 13.85 (he ran under 14 seconds all day). That's not too bad for a 4-banger with front-wheel drive. It's a solid platform for under 20k.
My son's 04 ran 12.84@105.xx with a Stage 2 ecm , Buschur exhaust , k&n cold air kit and a Mopar Performance blow off valve spaceron G force drag radials .

I just got my SRT 4 a month ago and previous to that I had been researching GNs for a good two years. I wanted one so bad, but after the horrible experiences with my old ford, I decided (wise or not, but wise in my opinion) I would hold out on getting another used car until I can afford to have two. I wanted a warranty desperately (even if DCX is gaining a reputation for voiding people up the wazoo) and this is what I ended up with. My dad used to have a 10 second torino and the other day he drove my car and said to me "I only have one thing to say about your car...I have no idea how you haven't gotten a ticket yet." So he was sold, lets just hope it lasts past the 7 year 70k warranty! As for GNs, I still get all giddy when I see one...someday, but until then, the SRT is keepin a grin on my face.

I lost to one because I was running 15.3 and the deon was running 14.3 it would be different the next time around

Originally posted by wishihadabuick
I wanted one so bad, but after the horrible experiences with my old ford, I decided (wise or not, but wise in my opinion) I would hold out on getting another used car until I can afford to have two.

I found your problem. It was a FORD.;)

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I found your problem. It was a FORD.;)

Nick

You may or may not know how many times ive heard this...one of the more amusing instances was when I took the ol yacht out for a test run after I installed the 3.50 limited slip. I jokingly told my parents to call the tow truck ahead of time (i know a lot of those guys after that car) well, turning onto one of the main roads the car just stopped and i had to push it into a parking lot. one guy who came to help says to me when we get it safe "you know what I think is wrong?" I just looked up and said "what?" he says "well, its not a chevy." I laughed and said he may be right. I found out later my timing chain snapped and luckily i only bent a couple rods. that was one of about 20 stories with that car.