ready for the spring/summer

79transam

1986 Grand National
engine1.jpg 20150302_120717.jpg FMIC.jpg rear1.jpg rear2.jpg side1.jpg engine1.jpg 20150302_120717.jpg FMIC.jpg rear1.jpg rear2.jpg side1.jpg finally ready for the spring had the car at the shop for a few weeks. gotta say Raul at Grand performance and the rest of the crew are great guys. they do awesome work and very easy to deal with. as far as mods go installed an ESP FMIC, MAF translator with LS1 MAF, new intake pipe, hooker exhaust, new moog springs and Metco upper and lower control arms in the rear. had the rear taken out checked and cleaned up with fresh fluids. slowly but surely she is coming along great. here are a few pics. hope you guys enjoy and hope to meet some of you guys soon.

View attachment 249699 View attachment 249700 View attachment 249701 View attachment 249702 View attachment 249703 View attachment 249704 View attachment 249699 View attachment 249700 View attachment 249701 View attachment 249702 View attachment 249703 View attachment 249704 finally ready for the spring had the car at the shop for a few weeks. gotta say Raul at Grand performance and the rest of the crew are great guys. they do awesome work and very easy to deal with. as far as mods go installed an ESP FMIC, MAF translator with LS1 MAF, new intake pipe, hooker exhaust, new moog springs and Metco upper and lower control arms in the rear. had the rear taken out checked and cleaned up with fresh fluids. slowly but surely she is coming along great. here are a few pics. hope you guys enjoy and hope to meet some of you guys soon.

I have seen those rims before and liked them. But often I thought I would paint/powdercoat the inner sides and webbing areas of the spokes black. I would just leave the top face polished. This would enhance the elegant style of the spoke design and make them appear to have less bulk. I've did it to my Weld Vitesse rims last year and loved it. But it was a time consuming pain in the ass.

The wheels were origianlly polished but I had them powder coated a hyper silver. Looks like they are polished. I wanted to black in the center but the guy would not do it said it wouldn't come out right. My plan was to go with gta wheels UT now thinking of just painting them black myself.

The wheels were origianlly polished but I had them powder coated a hyper silver. Looks like they are polished. I wanted to black in the center but the guy would not do it said it wouldn't come out right. My plan was to go with gta wheels UT now thinking of just painting them black myself.

Yes. Paint them now. The paint will stick better to the powder coating than to raw polished aluminum. It's a bitch to mask them. Use the 1/8th thin rubberized tape and Exacto knife to follow the curves on the top surface of the spokes. Fill the left over space with plain masking tape. Use satin black and spray them from a million angles to get between the sides of the spokes. It takes about a whole night per wheel on a workbench. If you can do it in less time, It probably looks like crap and your not doing it right.:)

Yes. Paint them now. The paint will stick better to the powder coating than to raw polished aluminum. It's a bitch to mask them. Use the 1/8th thin rubberized tape and Exacto knife to follow the curves on the top surface of the spokes. Fill the left over space with plain masking tape. Use satin black and spray them from a million angles to get between the sides of the spokes. It takes about a whole night per wheel on a workbench. If you can do it in less time, It probably looks like crap and your not doing it right.:)
thanks for the heads up. now do I have to use sand paper to scuff them up a little?. if so what grit do I use?

thanks for the heads up. now do I have to use sand paper to scuff them up a little?. if so what grit do I use?

If your painting on powder coat, don't chance scuffing the sides up because you may end up scratching the top surfaces. I think the paint will stick fine to the powder coat.

I have 'before pics' and if I get a chance, this week I'll take 'after pics' to put up for you to see. My wheels have a similar design. So you will know if you like them before you go through so much work.

I think I used the VHT stuff at Auto-Zone. But sometimes I think all that crap is the same stuff with different labels.

that's great cant wait to get started, ill prob do two wheels at a time spread out in two weekends

Here are some of the before and after pictures I promised. Went to the garage a little while ago and snapped some current shots. The first photo is directly off the Summit website. The others are the same wheels with the insides of the spokes and webbing painted by me. It sort of gives them a thinner/lighter look. I'm happy with them. I knew when I ordered them I would be doing this. Weld sells them with the top of the spokes black and the sides natural if you want them that way. But I wanted them in reverse. So I did it myself.
weld wheel.jpg
photo (10).JPG
photo (11).JPG
photo (12).JPG
photo (13).JPG
photo (14).JPG

car looks sweet bro.. the wheels look great too.. im going to paint the entire inner wheel, like the GTA wheels. and keep the polished lip. but may go with a black gloss paint. not sure how satin or semi gloss would look .

Too bad. I really wanted to see your rims with the top of the spokes left polished. Only because I always pictured them that way and was interested in seeing the real life thing. But I'm sure you will love them when your done. Good luck and send pics when your done!

Nice looking car.

Are those tires directional?

They appear to be put on incorrectly.

D