Rear caliper question / PLEASE READ

ttypewhite

Whats the best plug and play caliper setup for the rear? My brakes are not enough to stop my car anymore. Its fine at the track, but on the street is just doesn't cut it. Whats the least expensive but very effective rear caliper kit for a GN? Has anyone used a system off another car and made small alterations to make it work. I gotta do something before this car puts me in the s h i t house.

Have you upgraded the front brakes yet? GM High Tech performance has an ariticle about replacing the powermaster, and they cut about 100 ft off the stopping distance from 70 (maybe it was 80, anyway, it stopped much quicker with the vacuum brakes) Going to Baer brakes, or the "B" body rotors will help a lot too, and then go to rear discs.

Originally posted by Silver 6
Lower cost, easy install, fits all TR wheels, huge increase in braking over stock, should hold a lot more boost.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/dr1700k.htm

Have you personally done this? Just curious, as I want to upgrade my brakes as well and I was going to go with SSBC rotors/calipers up front and the S-10 upgrade in the rear.

Looks to me like the big drums in back would be a good match for bigger discs up front, without getting the proportioning all out of whack. And would hold boost on the line, probably better than a rear disc conversion. And I agree, the price is right.

Nope I haven't put them on my Regal yet, but....

Those brakes are already on the back of my LeSabre.

I had them on the rear of my 9c1 Impala and Caprice. On her first drive in the Impala, Lisa took her Mom to go shopping. At the first corner stop she almost put her Mom's nose on the dash. Those brakes STOP.

Those brakes were added to the rear of the 9c1 Nova cars in 74-79 to replace the 9.5" brakes like we have on the Regals. The cop car Nova would pull .8G stops over and over. On F70-14 sized rubber to boot. The cop car Nova ran on 14" wheels which means pretty much any of the larger diameter wheels we run should drop over.

Bowling Green Customs offered a very similar upgrade with the addition of reinforcing the backing plates.

I have purchased a spare 8.5 rear and am now collecting the parts to upgrade and restore it before it goes into my 87T. I have the larger 11" drums and am collecting the other parts to assemble the brakes instead of purchasing the kit. I started this project before the kit came out.

This isn't a complete bolt on. You would need to trim the top of the axle flange and drill two holes on each side. The 11" brakes mount with four bolts. But your brake lines and emergency brake cables hook up like stock. No change needed for the proportioning valve or master cylinder. I believe the rear slave cylinders are the same size as the S10 cylinders many people have added to the stock 9.5" brakes.

I stand corrected. The cop car Nova didn't pull .8G in braking.

"The Nova 9C1 was the clear and heads-up winner. It had the fastest 0-60 mph and 60-95 mph times and the quickest quarter-mile trap speeds. It generated an incredible 1.2 g of braking force, and equaled or bested all the other cars on the evasive maneuvers course and the skid pad."

From the California patrol testing in 1975.

Nope, I can't tell you if the GM brakes will work with the Ford flange on the 9". Or did you have the housing ends on the Ford rear changed to fit the GM brakes on the Regal?

If you still have the Ford flange, there are larger brakes available from Ford also, but the bolt pattern would need changing.

I'll not be buying anything from MPBrakes again.
Poor quality parts that didn't fit.
A complete waste of time and effort. Not to mention the phone guys were clueless.
I ordered their manual Brake conversion. ~$130 for a bucks worth of threadzall, plate, and some cheap clevis. Incredible that they'd sell something like that as a brake component. Not to mention that the plates' bolt pattern and size didn't match anything.