rear trouble

tomg928

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this situation. I took my 86 GN for a ride today. On the way back home I heard a loud clanking noise from the rear. I continued to pull the car in the garage when I was backing it up I felt the driver side tire dragging. it clanked loud again and freed up. I put the car in the garage and never got a chance to check out the rear. The car has been leaking in the rear for the 6 weeks I owned it. I was thinking maybe all the fluid leaked out but I'm not sure if that would cause my problem....... The previous owner told me he noticed the leak right before he sold it to me.......anyone expierence this before:confused:

You'll need to pull the rear tires and brake drums off and see if any brake hardware has fallen out of position. If you don't find anything out of the ordinary I'd pull the rear end cover and take a look in there also.

Sounds like a axle seal is leaking or a wheel cylinder.

You'll need to pull the rear tires and brake drums off and see if any brake hardware has fallen out of position. If you don't find anything out of the ordinary I'd pull the rear end cover and take a look in there also.

Sounds like a axle seal is leaking or a wheel cylinder.

Thanks for the helpfull info... I'm gonna start working on it.

Thanks for the helpfull info... I'm gonna start working on it.

The brake drums are fine. I pulled the rear cover off and found hardly any oil maybe 3/4's of a quart. I noticed there was chunks of metal sitting in the bottom surface of the rear, in the gear oil. I really don't know to much about rears, but I do know its not the ring & pinion. Its the driverside axle gear, I can see the metal missing from the driverside, The passanger side is fine. I think its called the axle gear, or posi gear. Looks like someone changed the ring and pinion, they look to be new... I also notice alot of play in both the driver and pass side tires. I was able to move them in and out around a 1/4 inch or so. I'm not sure, but is that normal? Looks like I'll be doing some rear work, or someone will be doing it for me......I think dial calipers and micrometers are involved when doing a rear...... My plan is probably to take the rear out leave the car on jaxs and take it to a mechanic I just want to fix the problem without killing my pocket.... Have any more advice for me:confused:

those are your spider gears that can happen if you are turning and gun it it jams the gear into the crosspin its not hard to fix as long as the carrier is all right you don't need to pull the rear

those are your spider gears that can happen if you are turning and gun it it jams the gear into the crosspin its not hard to fix as long as the carrier is all right you don't need to pull the rear

So thats why I screwed up my rear.... Turning and gunning it....My favorite.:biggrin: I'm going to make the attempt to fix it sometime this weekend, Where Could I find the parts?

you can get them at most parts stores or the dealer if you are real cheap you could get them from a junk yard 8.5 are everywhere