Recommend a Pick-up to pull enclosed 2 car trailor

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
What would be a good truck that you would recommend,here the Ford F350,but will a F250 get the job done ,whats the motor to get.
Would the be the order of preference 1 Ford 2 Dodge and lastly the GM trucks,,please set me in the right direction,
want to spend about 25K for a used truck hoping to find lower miles(40K-50K miles) no more than $25K..
thanks for any help..
Dennis

2006 Duramax/Allison dually with the LBY motor. I'm sure you coulddo it with a 2500 but you would be fighting the swaying.

Jason

stay away from the new fords with the 6.0 diesel in them!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad pulls for a living and he has had 2 of the new ones and nothing but problems out of both of them! He is a hard core ford man but after the last 2 he went with a dodge with the cummins diesel in it. I talked to him the other day and he told me to tell you the dodge has really impressed him. Very few problems with the truck so far and what he did have was some electrical problems. He also said that it feels stronger than the ford ever did and pulls excellent! He pulls for a rv manufacture and some of them with the triple slide out rooms are really heavy to pull down the road. He said the dodge will run 75 + on the interstate with the biggest one they make with no problems at all! The duramax is a monster also with a ton of power and they make a lot of upgrades for it as well. Just my 2 cents but if I was going to pull and I was looking for a used truck, First I would look for a ford 350 dually with the 7.4 diesel in her, thats what he used to drive before they changed and had VERY few problems with the trucks, after that it would be a toss up between dodge and gm as that would be with the old cummings dodge made. Its a good motor but it doesn't have the brute power of the new ones to me. I have a 6.5 turbo diesel gm dually myself and it pulls a car trailer easy as fast as you want to go but a double might be harder. I have never tried it so I can't say for sure. DanieL Ray

I am going to propose another option for you. I would recommend going to ryder or other big truck and getting a used daycab. You can license as a rec vehicle. Get one with a 410 hp cummins. Add a small sleeper and you are good to go for about 10k. Will tow twice what a dually pickup will, around the same fuel mileage and will pull circles around a pickup on the hills. No CDL needed. When you wear it out. keep the hitch and the sleeper and but another day cab. This is what I am goign to do.

Quiky One said:
2006 Duramax/Allison dually with the LBY motor. I'm sure you coulddo it with a 2500 but you would be fighting the swaying.

Jason
00-04 D/A is the "LB7" real good truck can find low milage 4x4 dually for 25k & less. stay away from the 04 1/2-05 "LLY" they have been known to have over heating problems, & many complain about the fuel milage. now the 06 "LBZ" is the cats meow, 650 tq & it pulls like a raped ape, I gross 30k with mine with a 30' tri axle trailer, no problems at all. here is a great site
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

need boost said:
stay away from the new fords with the 6.0 diesel in them!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad pulls for a living and he has had 2 of the new ones and nothing but problems out of both of them!
I have to completely agree with this!!! I've been there & done that. :mad: 6.0=POS here is some reading for anyone wanting a 6.0 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402770

need boost said:
First I would look for a ford 350 dually with the 7.4 diesel in her, thats what he used to drive before they changed and had VERY few problems with the trucks. DanieL Ray
the engine is a 7.3. that engine is a proven work horse!!!

as for the Dodges I personally dislike them, the engine is real good but the rest is still a Dodge! :rolleyes:

Yep sorry bout that. It is 7.3 not 7.4 in the older ford truck. I know the last several he had with the 7.3 in them had over 350,000 miles on them when he got another new one. That was all put on within 2 years! Half of the miles at least were loaded miles also! The only trouble I remember him having at all was the rear end roared some in all of them but never gave him any problems really to speak of at all. Just anoying He gets a new one every 2 years from work to drive and if you can put 350000 miles plus on them in 24 months with few problems thats a heck of a sales pitch for sure!!! I am NOT a ford person at all so its killing me to even say something nice about them lol. But the truth is the truth on them. They were real work horses but like everyone else, ford finally got one right and just HAD to do something diffrent grrrrrrrrrr. I heard that the new duramax motors from gm had injector problems but that was last year so maybe they got the bugs out of them with that.

I have yet to own a new chevy, but have owned a few ford powerstrokes with the piece of **** 7.3 that costs a arm and a leg to replace any part under the hood.

Ford 7.3s are also known as the cam sensor eating, injector digesting,pile of crap motors, that last a long time if you have patience and a fat wallet.

Agreed 110% stay away from the new 6.0 ford trucks, they die on the side of the road and wont start.... BOTH of our BRAND NEW 2006 f-550s are broken and both have 3500 miles on them..

Just this week the tow truck driver told us the local ford stealership has over 60 new diesel ford 6.0 trucks sitting there and the stealership broken with the same no start issue. Ours threw a code saying low pressure to the injecorts. HMMM pos?

Tell you what, go to various diesel websites and look in the help section, or the tech sections and that alone should stray you away from the ford pickups.
I purchased my dodge 2002 loud motor, never been back to the dealership since i purchased it, and easy to work on.. the only expensive part would be the vp-44 injection pump if i let the small inline pump die out.
I am not impressed with the reliability with the new common rail ford,dodge,or chevy trucks. I know alot of guys with issues.

You ought to buy a older truck and save some money IMO.

If you buy a Dodge, its cheap to repair but everyone complains about no rear seating... I could care less because i dont drive from the back seat.

If you buy a Ford, *reality check* go to a www.dieselstop.com look at all those threads about fords blowing white smoke and no power *dont buy a ford*
If you buy a Chevy, the older ones with the 6.2 were pigs, finally got it right with the new isuzu motor. You need to do a search on how much it will cost you for injector replacement, and find out when its out of warranty.

I think if you purchased any truck, you need to look at it as how much will it cost me to repair it... They all break, and the new common rail ones are more expensive to repair.

How often do you tow?

You definitely need a 3500 dually diesel, but do you need a regular cab, 2wd or 4wd?
Its up to you!
BW

my uncle has a 01 f350 7.3 2wd auto dually and a 06 f250 6.0 auto 4x4 wich they have been using to haul there painting equip and to tug his cars around to shows it pulls like it isnt even loaded. Plus it seems to move along pretty stout.

DON'T BUY A DAMN HEMI FOR A WORK TRUCK

Chevy/GMC 650ft lbs gets it done. thats what i wanted buy i couldn't afford it so i bought a hd 1500 z71 330 HP but i'm not gonna pull anything that heavy :)