Remanufactured MAF

sychedup

sychedup
Hi All,

Anyone buy a Cardone stock replacement MAF for OReilly's? For $50 plus core charge, seems like a good deal. Comes with 1 year warranty. Any opinions out there? Would love to go with a 3.5" LS1 MAF and Translator but don't have $350 for it right now.

Tx.

The problem with any reman maf is the calibration tolerance.

The tend to be out quite a lot. they dont max out at 255 so you will go lean.
they also read high at idle and the car runs rich.

after about 5 you will find a good one...:rolleyes:

The problem with any reman maf is the calibration tolerance.

The tend to be out quite a lot. they dont max out at 255 so you will go lean.
they also read high at idle and the car runs rich.

after about 5 you will find a good one...:rolleyes:

And for the price of 5 auto parts store MAFs, you can buy a Translator and an LS1 MAF, and just be done with it.

And for the price of 5 auto parts store MAFs, you can buy a Translator and an LS1 MAF, and just be done with it.
X2 on that!! Not to mention the positives just by going with the LT1/LS1 Maf and translator..

SW.

thanks guys.

I'll am gonna try my luck on one. I'll see what readings the SM gets. If not good will return and save up for the LS1 & Translator.

Is Full Throttle speed the best place to purchase?

I just failed the stock MAF on my street car. (87 White T) I debated over the Cardone Reman MAF vs the LS1 and a Translator. I decided to get the LS1 and the Gen 2 translator.

The newer LS1 has an all plastic body and looks much closer to our original MAF than the aluminum bodied LT1 MAF.

The Gen 2 translator installed easy and works great. I'm very pleased with the results.

If you step up to the translator and new MAF, It opens up a whole new dimension for tuning and you will not be sorry. It will cost you around $400 which is the only downside I can see.

Dave

I just failed the stock MAF on my street car. (87 White T) I debated over the Cardone Reman MAF vs the LS1 and a Translator. I decided to get the LS1 and the Gen 2 translator.

The newer LS1 has an all plastic body and looks much closer to our original MAF than the aluminum bodied LT1 MAF.

The Gen 2 translator installed easy and works great. I'm very pleased with the results.

If you step up to the translator and new MAF, It opens up a whole new dimension for tuning and you will not be sorry. It will cost you around $400 which is the only downside I can see.

Dave

I just upgraded to the Gen 2 a couple of weeks ago. Out of curiosity, what adjustments did you have to make out of the box? I had to set main scale to +10% to avoid a lean O2 code.

I've heard many negatives about the Cardones, but one of So Cal's premier tuners, TurboLou, recently said at a tech session that he has been using Carodones for quite some time without major issues and I think he has worked on more TRs than most.

I've heard many negatives about the Cardones, but one of So Cal's premier tuners, TurboLou, recently said at a tech session that he has been using Carodones for quite some time without major issues and I think he has worked on more TRs than most.

interesting.....

cardone maf

I picked up a cardone maf on line a few months ago. from advance autoparts. under $50. no core needed. works great.

I picked up a cardone maf on line a few months ago. from advance autoparts. under $50. no core needed. works great.

Don't bother buying a lottery ticket, you just used up all your luck on a MAF :biggrin:

heres the scoop on Cardone Mass Air Flow sensors...

first, they are without a doubt one of the largest companies focused on rebuilding parts for many many companies including GM as I have seen parts at dealerships in their boxes.

The mass air flow sensor that came originally on the 1986-1987 turbo regal is unique to these cars...you deal with an auto store on an exchange core basis and in almost every case you will get a Camaro mass air flow sensor back where the plug end points horizantial and not veritcal and your two mounting points are a riveted bracket.

Our connection with Cardone is we send in the correct original core and get the correct original one back. Reason ours are alittle more money. We have had virtually zero issues with them and someone at Richard Clarks shop using Richards test equipment has tested a typical rebuilt Cardone one that we provided him and fund out it performed quite well compared to some of the others.

We carry the translater so ideally like other companies we cater to buyers that want to retain the stock original cars and those that want to modify their cars. (The translater may not be yet on our website)

Our cars are really now approaching the age that will only make it harder to find the correct part for. Also against us is numbers our cars lack the production numbers that say Mustangs for example have.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis Kirban;2833059.......The mass air flow sensor that came originally on the 1986-1987 turbo regal is unique to these cars...you deal with an auto store on an exchange core basis and in almost every case you will get a Camaro mass air flow sensor back where the plug end points horizantial and not veritcal and your two mounting points are a riveted bracket. ...............[email said:
denniskirban@yahoo.com[/email]

Would like to add some important info to what Dennis posted about the non-stock replacement MAF.

During the Turbo Buick event in NC this past May at Richard Clark's impressive shop, I had the good fortune to be present when he tested 3 different MAF's on his custom flow bench.

The non-stock, or Cardone Camaro MAF did NOT flow the numbers of a stock GN MAF, and it was significantly less.

The LS1 MAF, in turn, flowed significantly more than a stock GN MAF.

The conclusions are for a street driven GN, the lesser flow of a Cardone replacement will make little difference.

On a modified car at higher RPM levels, the LS1 set up will make a noticeable improvement.

So depending on your use and budget, you can make the ultimate decision. :)

so Cardone MAF... 0 for 1

OK, got the reman Cardone and it threw a code 34 immediately. However, idle and off-idle tip-in was much improved. In addition, INT and BLMs came down significantly to 128 and 118-120, respectively, and had much better 02s at idle. SM showed MAF=6 , so I decided to drive it in hopes the code would clear. But car ran rich as a pig....02s over 900mV, stinky exhaust and cut out under acceleration.

Oreilly's has a 1 year warranty so they are ordering me a new one. If that one doesn't work. They will take it back, so no cost to me.

If this next one doesn't work, will decide on new reman from Kirban or go with LT1/LS1 MAF with Translator.

I have stock turbo and motor, even worth the MAF upgrade?

Thanks

There is several different looking MAF's under the same..yes the same part Cardone part #.

The proper one to get is teh electrical connector 90 degrees off the body of teh MAF, no necking down or lips on the inside..should be smooth all the way through.

Several years back AZ had to order 4 before we got the right one.

Cardone MAF

this was part # 74-7866. was identical to the one I had now, although that was a reman as well, but yes the electrical harness was perpendicular to the edge and in same level direction as the openings.

I was debating this exact same issue. I went with a translator and a new plastic lt1 maf from Gbodyparts. I hope it fixes my problems lol