Removing doors

SyHopeful

I'm your huckleberry.
Hey all, getting my GN prepped for fresh paint and some rust repair. I'll probably have a hundred more questions before the project's done, but here's the one for right now:

How do you remove the door wiring plug between the body and the door? I'm trying to figure it out and haven't had the answer appear to me. Sooner the help the better, I'm stuck until I figure this out :p

You mean the accordian looking thing? It just slips right in/out, kind of like a rubber gromet in the firewall type thing. Once you have that loose and all wiring unpluged from inside the door, then you can undo the hinge bolts. Have someone help you, the doors weigh a TON! You can put a folded towel on top of a jack and put just a little pressure on the door while loosening bolts, and just have someone there to help balance the door. Now's a good time for you to replace hinge pins too.

That boot is held onto the body with two screws.It just presses in on the door side. Here's the easy way to remove the doors. Remove both kick panels. There is a layer of sound insulation. Carefully remove it. Its is held on with plastic clips. There is a plastic baffle that keeps the wire harness tight in the kick panel area. Remove them. You should be able the see the wire connectors for the windows and power locks. Disconnect the wires. You may have to remove the hood latch cable on the drivers side. You may have to remove the parking brake pedal from the kick panel. I dont. What I do when the door is off the hinges is to remove the boot and reach up in there and disconnect it from there. The easiest way to remove the doors is to unbolt the hinges from the door first. Use a floor jack and a piece of wood to support the door.

DONT FORGET ABOUT THE CABLE CONTROL FOR PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR ,IF YOU HAVE ONE IT NEEDS TO BE LOOSENED FROM THE DASH MOUNT AND FEED THROUGH THE DASH SO IT WILL COME OUT WITH THE DOOR.:eek: GOOD LUCK

Blast from the past but I am doing this right now. The passenger remote mirror is going bye bye! Not going thru the headache of putting that cable back in. Scored a NOS standard mirror I will be using instead and putting my alky controls where the remote mirror was.

You can get to all the wiring connectors once you pull the boot away from the door jamb. No need to remove the kick panels on drivers side. You need to on the passenger side if you have the remote mirror though.

Would it not be easier to remove the doors by removing the hinge pins?I might be wrong but it seems it would be less headache when putting the doors back on to install pins back in and the doors line back up like they were.