Replacing body bushings?

Stroker-ace

Boosted-brick
I found a write up a while back someone did on how to replace the body bushings in a very effective manner. I just searched for it and cannot find it now, does anyone know where this link is or have any insight?

I know I need to pretty much remove the entire body from the car, I am planning on doing all at once and since the car I have is pretty much gutted I figured it would be easier.

Thanks in advance!

When I did mine I first removed both front and rear bumpers, then I bought a 2"x8"x8' piece of wood I cut it in half so I would have two 4 foot pieces then I screwed them together to form a T, I loosened the body bolts on one side and removed the other body bolts on the opposite side, then I used the 4 foot T I made and placed it under the pinch welds on the rocker panel and carefully used a jack to lift the body off the bushings just enough to remove and replace them. Then let the body back down and reinstall the body bolts and tighten them hand tight. Do the same procedure for the other side. After all body bushing are replaced and the body bolts hand tight check to make sure the body is on the frame straight by measuring the rocker panel gap to frame on both side, after you have the body where you want it tighten the body bolts and your done.

P.S. make sure you unbolt the power steering resivior from the inner fender and let it hang before you jack up the body or you will have a big mess

Hope this helps,Kyle.

P.S. make sure you unbolt the power steering resivior from the inner fender and let it hang before you jack up the body or you will have a big mess

I'm a victim of forgetting to do this!! :eek:

I put some wood blocks and chunks of metal between the frame and body when trying to get the bushings in just in case the body fell, I would not have my hands smashed.

The e-brake cable can get a bit tight as well depending on how high you jack up the body.

Be prepared for broken bolts or or the bolts spinning in the body if you live in the rust belt...