Replacing stock turbo need gasket help.

bishir

Serenity Now
After doing a search it seems there are many different opinions on this subject. I thought I"d ask again to see what works the best.

What type of material should I use to seal the turbo to the header? I've heard anywhere from not using a seal to a Rivera gasket!

James

i just replaced my turbo yesterday, no gasket for me... and it works, until my #6 injector started leaking today, stupid injector...

-Neil

Neil, how do you like that 44? I just went with the 49 and I'm excited to see how much of a difference it makes...

James

James,

its pretty cool to be honest i just put it on yesterday/today. but i changed the Injectors, turbo, and installed an alky kit. the car isnt tuned right and the tranny is really screwed up... but i am installing one i built next weekend.. so hopfully it will be good, and i am only running ~14psi...

but right after i got everything running right, i was driving around, drove to a friends house, and as i was sitting there talking to my bud, Injecor #6 springs a leak... so i have to fight with it tomorrow..

as for the spool i was expecting it to be pretty laggy, but it really isnt that bad over stock. its actually a lot quicker than i was expecting.

the 44 i put on has the Percision housing on it right now, and at first i thought i was crazy but my g/f confirmed it that the car sounds different... meaner... its nice....

if you have anyother questions i can try to help... while its still fresh in my mind.

HTH's

-Neil

Did you reuse your drain lines? I ordered some new braided steel ones from John's Performance just in case....

What was the most difficult to remove?

My T-type took a new turbo with no gasket and no problems. On my low mile GN, I had massive leaks when I swapped turbo's around. A copper ATR gasket eliminated all the leaks.

Before I went to the gasket, I spent hours filing the mating surfaces flat, but the warpage was too bad.

I was swapping on a used turbo, though. A new turbo and filing, lapping the header flange flat was what worked on my T-type.

do you have like an AIM or aol handle that i can IM you at? that way we arent going back and forth to each other? if so, i am "vendor defendor" suprise suprise

-Neil

Originally posted by bishir
What was the most difficult to remove?

most dificult to remove? i dont know if anything was really that difficult to remove, the injectors were the biggest PITA to install and reinstall, the hardest part i would say all in all was after putting the new turbo on getting both of the oil lines lined up and bolted in. i would recommend trying to bolt on the bottom oil line on before you put the turbo onto the header, i did it after and it turned out to be about an hour battle trying to get in there... oh well, i am sure it will be worth it.

HTH's

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
most dificult to remove? i dont know if anything was really that difficult to remove, the injectors were the biggest PITA to install and reinstall, the hardest part i would say all in all was after putting the new turbo on getting both of the oil lines lined up and bolted in. i would recommend trying to bolt on the bottom oil line on before you put the turbo onto the header, i did it after and it turned out to be about an hour battle trying to get in there... oh well, i am sure it will be worth it.

HTH's

I've read where people replace those bolts with studs and nuts. Makes it really easy to line up. I haven't done that yet, but seems like it would work.

I have not been able to get my rebuilt PT51 sealed up since I put it on last year. The first PT51 was fine - bolted right up with no gaskets and no leaks. Engine failed, took the turbo with it. I had PTE replace the exhaust housing because my puck wasn't sealing. This housing must be messed up because It leaked really bad with no gasket. I put a copper gasket on (from John's Performance) and it leaked. Took it apart again and sealed it up with the gasket AND some brush-on coppercoat sealant. Worked for about a day and blew out.

Long story short - try to file both the header and turbo surfaces flat. That's the way it should be. Putting a gasket in there will cause an unwarped surface to warp thus requiring a gasket forever. You shouldn't need one there.

Jim

Generally speaking, once you go to a gasket, you stay with a gasket until you have both the housing and header surfaced. GM p/n 01261269 is the Riv gasket that has never let me down.
HTH
Jim