Repo Header Panel Quality?

terryk

I've been looking for an 84-87 header panel for my 86 TT Regal. I have a line on several at varying prices. Two are new repros and the others are GM originals.

Does anyone have any experience with the repro's quality and fit? The prices for repro's and GM's are all over the map. I can get a GM for $150 to $350 or a repro for $120-200. I looked at one $350 header and it needed to be put out of it's misery. A $150 header looked good. The others are too far away.

How are the repro's? No matter what I have to prep and paint them anyway (none are silver metallic or not painted).

Terry

the one i recieved from Postons is real nice. theres no hole for a hood ornament like some have and it comes in grey primer. it fits nice(at paint shop now) when i dry fitted it when it came(in one piece) i did notice some of the holes for the clips need to be cleaned up a bit so they fit nice. i'm real happy with it compared to some of the nightmares i've been reading here lately.

I had an aftermarket, BP?

Anyway it was real dodo.
Took and axe to it.
Yes, it was that bad. Lined up with the body fine, but NONE of the holes used for ANYTHING were in the right place.

Stick with GM

I got one from Mike McCoy that was boxed up in plywood and received in perfect shape but it was a little more then others wanted. But, it got here in perfect shape.

i'm not sure who makes them for Postons, but i can say that the figerglass front bumper i received from them was also excellent(also unlike what others have been saying about there bumpers), the header i got from them needed very little work and all the holes are in the right spots.

I've gotten replies from several places (ok, three) on AM headers. Of course they claim they are fine, but two mentioned the light holes being goofy in earlier ones but that it's been tightened up and corrected.

There's one in Sac so I might take a few parts and go down there and trial fit them.

Terry