RI airshow june 25 26

Wow! That looks like it will be quite a show.
May have to check that out,thanks for the heads up.

Anybody that hasn't gone needs too, this is a good time. Expect big crowds because of the Blue Angels though......

Going tomorrow cant wait

Did you get in??

Guard: Air show victim of its own success

One Packed Air Show (Added: June 27, 2011)
Rhode Island National Guard officials say the weather and the event's price contributed to the large crowds at the Air Show on Sunday.

For the first time its 21 year history, the air show parking lots were closed.

NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. --
Officials with the Rhode Island Air National Guard said Monday they partly blame the weather and the popularity of the air show itself for turning away hundreds, if not thousands, of people who tried to get in.

About 35,000 people attended the 21st annual air show at Quonset Point under cloudy skies Saturday, but the crowd swelled to 50,000 to 55,000 on Sunday.

Just after noon, organizers made the decision to close the exit and only allow cars on Route 403 into the parking lots, which were filled to capacity.

"In 21 years of doing this air show, we have never seen that situation develop," said Col. Arthur Floru. "To know that there is that much desire on the part of air show fans to come to Quonset, I think really speaks to the quality of the product we put forward."

Traffic was backed up for 10 miles, but Floru said the guard acted with one overriding concern.

"We run this show with three basic principles: safety, safety and safety," Floru said.

Floru said he believes there were two contributing factors.

"I think a combination of some of the earlier weather reports that were broadcast and along with the fact that we really put out an exceptional product for basically no cost," Floru said. "I think the economy in the local area has much to do with that."

Despite criticism by some who were turned away, the Air National Guard said it monitored the show minute by minute and made the decision to close based on safety and that it also alerted people on Facebook.

The guard said it may use social media more aggressively next year to alert fans about weather and traffic conditions.

i got there around 9:20am and had a great time. i was a little disappointed there wasnt a harrier that was listed in the program .there was also a f22 in the program that didnt show up.

Feel bad for the probably thousands of people that didn't get in Sun., due to parking lots filling up!!!!! Heard the traffic going in was backed up for miles....

Feel bad for the probably thousands of people that didn't get in Sun., due to parking lots filling up!!!!! Heard the traffic going in was backed up for miles....

All they had to do is wake up early that was what i did. I got up at 5:50 am took a shower went and filled up gas and picked somebody met the 2 other people at my shop at about 6:45 and we left about 7:00 am stopped in mystic for a quick 20 minute mcdonalds breakfast. Got to the show about 9:20 am got right in zero traffic and got on a shuttle bus immediately with no line. I would say bad planning on everybody elses part. Also we were probably about 12 rows back by the time we got there and the gates were suppose to open at 9:00 am. Next year i might have to leave even earlier apparently

Yup, earlier would've been better! We couldn't go early due to previous obligations... We left the house at 10am, made it to the 95 in RI by 11am, and sat in traffic for 3 hours! We watched some aerobatics from the car; people were sitting on their car roofs watching the show while stuck in traffic.

We saw the signs that said AIR SHOW CLOSED, but surprisingly we were able to get in anyway. As soon as we got out of the car, the F-16 started flying. My son was ecstatic, it was the coolest thing he ever saw! He had to use the can really bad but held it so he didn't miss any of it. :eek:

The rest of the afternoon was fantastic, the kid had a blast and that made it worth it, but next time, we're definitely leaving early.

wow now i'm glad i didn't go ,i know i wouldn't have gotten there too early + would have gotten stuck too,+ missed it then have to drive all the way back to northern ma.after being stuck in traffic + missing it.
have to remember next yr if i go ,go early.