Richness, DFI, oil, and rings...

L

LSWHAT

I posted this in tech as well.. but not a lot of replies.. it is more ECM related I guess..

My car has run rich for a while. When cold, the compression on 2 cylinders was low (60ish) however after warming up, all 6 were 160. I know there is a possiblity I have hurt the rings by running too rich for too long. Leakdown was a bit on the high side but within acceptable range. I get a decent amount of carbon smoke out of the tail pipe when into the throttle, and oil smoke from the tailpipes at idle, so I am pretty sure the richness is letting oil past the rings. I can even smell gas at times. The plugs tend to foul more often than they should.

I am likely not going to be able to afford having the engine pulled and refreshed with new rings and etc... since I have to do my trans as well. (2-3 shift very soft) My question is:

How likely is it that a good tune on the DFI to correct the rich problem, and a top engine clean will help or solve the problem of the oil getting past the rings? or have they been washed for too long? any chance at all?

Sounds like the damage is done. :( If your compression is down when it's cold, I really don't think anything short of a rebuild is going to cure the problem. Just my opinion... let's see what the rest of the gang here thinks...