RIP Grand National... what next?

Wheres Nevada,Tx? and Im on the east side of Tx and sure we can save her with the parts I got laying around...A matter of fact Im 115% positive, but if you get rid of her let me know.

Sorry about the wreck though man. I say find another one and get up on it again, cause you will always want one.

Nevada is roughly 35 miles NNE of downtown Dallas on highway Texas 78 and US 380.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
9.71 @ 140

Heard back from State Farm

State Farm just called... they offered me $11448.23 for the damage.

Does that sound about right for:

* 1987 GN hard top
* 70,000 miles
* power windows/locks/seats, G80, GNX-like wheels, etc
* no rust at all!
* interior was 9.5 or better
* exterior was really straight
* car was painted before I bought it - black, but not smooth-as-glass

They are willing to sell it back to me; they are not going to make me turn-over the title to get a salvage title. :biggrin:

They told me that if I don't think that is enough $$, give them some evidence.

I think I'll do some homework this evening and see what almost-stock GNs are bringin'.

Thanks for all the support, folks.

Stand by for "GN parts" or a "GN with a couple dents" sale postings

I still can't believe they don't want me to get a salvage title :eek:

That would be a good price if they GAVE it back to you or sold it back to your for $1.00:)

When mine got wrecked 3 years ago i went thru what you are about too. I didnt need the money or the car so i was patient and took 5 month til i finally got the 18k i ended up with for my 86 GN. Stay tough.

Question is can you replace it for that amount? Sounds a little low to me. Did they give you any $$ figures to buy it back, or are they waiting to price it depending on how much you want from the car? Considering what these cars can bring for parts, and what a yard would pay for one, if you can get $11.4k + the car back for free to part out, that wouldn't be too much skin off their back.

State Farm just called... they offered me $11448.23 for the damage.

Does that sound about right for:

* 1987 GN hard top
* 70,000 miles
* power windows/locks/seats, G80, GNX-like wheels, etc
* no rust at all!
* interior was 9.5 or better
* exterior was really straight
* car was painted before I bought it - black, but not smooth-as-glass

They are willing to sell it back to me; they are not going to make me turn-over the title to get a salvage title. :biggrin:

They told me that if I don't think that is enough $$, give them some evidence.

I think I'll do some homework this evening and see what almost-stock GNs are bringin'.

Thanks for all the support, folks.

Stand by for "GN parts" or a "GN with a couple dents" sale postings

I still can't believe they don't want me to get a salvage title :eek:

Check the link I posted. It's the NADA official pricing guide that they go on.:biggrin:

Really sorry about the car but at least you're okay. I think $11,400 is too low...at minimum I would think $16,000. Oh and as for the charger, I drive them at work and can't stand them. Cheap interior, horrible delay in the drive by wire throttle, terrible blind spots everywhere! Stick with the general....buy a vette! Oh and the 3.8 will fit into a 4th gem camaro no problem (that's the same motor anyway) and a rs camaro is really light. Best of luck to you!

I think you would be hard pressed to find a nice grand national with around 70k miles for $11,400.

Don't negotiate with state farm based on cragslist or private sale advertisements. Use dealership advertisements.

Buy another gn and buck up on that horse man or you will kick yourself in the ass forever

I just got a call from State Farm. They offered me $16045.10 for the car. That includes tax/title/license fees. Plus, I get to keep my old GN... with clear title.

They said if I want more, I need to pay for an appraisal and then they might give me more, depending on the appraisal

How much will an appraisal cost me? What are the odds my GN will appraise for more than $15,000 (plus TTL)? If an appraisal comes back for less than $15k, I will have wasted my money...hmmm

I'm thinkin' it may be time to say, "Okay... cut me a check."

Their original offer was for $11,400 not including buy-back of my car.

Comments?

What are you doing on here posting when you could be signing for the check and getting your car home! Congrats! Even better than my "pack a lunch" technique!

Take the $16k and the car.

Ins co first offers are always low.

When the wife's car was stolen we had already done research before their first offer. It was about 1/2 of low book - she hung up on the guy. The guy calls back and says "I think we got cut off". She replies "No, I hung up. When you get a realistic offer call back" and hung up again. It took about a month before they realized that with 4 vehicles and 3 drivers we could wait forever.

Had an 86 T Type stolen and went thru the same deal. They offered 8k (also 70k miles and 9/10) ended up w/ 13k after a $550 appraisal from a 3rd party said thats what it was worth. Beats 8K, but wasnt what we'd hoped. $16k is a great deal, plus you get the car.
Take it and run before they realize what they did.

Sorry about the car. Go to Ls2gto.com and look around. You should be able to get one with about 40k miles on it for around $15-17k. I love my GTO, interior is awesome and is a very nice car all around.

Finally got trunk open. The trunk floor looks like it gave it's life for the rest of the car:

IMG_1768_small.jpg

IMG_1769_small.jpg

I think these are the wires to the fuel pump. Where are the wires this should connect to? I can follow these wires to the top of the tank, so I'm looking for the wires that run to the car's harness. Where do they run? I want to see if the car will start.

IMG_1772_small.jpg

Here is why my front wheels don't point in the same direction. I'm pretty sure the tie-rod is supposed to be straight.

IMG_1776_small.jpg

I was going to attempt to get the car rolling, but I found the wheel on the driver's side was up against the frame. Maybe I can mount the spare on there and get the beast rolling again.

I sorta want to drive it around the block, but I'm guessing that bent center link/tie rod will hinder the steering.