rjc 9 second recipe help

B00stJunkie

I'm going through the rjc recipes. I'mm going to be building a street car that out performs most cars but will be taken to the track some Fridays. My question is about their recipe is with the engine. Specifically the internals. It states that the rods are stock with arp bolts stock crank with, and here is were I'm confused ".01 rods .02 mains" can someone explain to me what this means. I'm new to engine building, although I do inderstand boring or stroking im just not getting what they mean. And also they have +.030 trw pistons. Is that bored 3 thousandth over stock. Dont burn me too bad, still learning here. Thanks

thats old school recipe before the availability of offshore parts for the v6
these days we have better piston choice than the old .030 over trws (as it reads thats 30 thousandths overbore not 3 thou) .
the better pistons would be JE .020 forged floating pin , or CP, wiseco etc

and better choices for cranks with all the forged cranks available at relatively cheap price and stroker cranks are more the norm as back when the recipe was written there was stock , the BMS stage stuff (not cheap) and carrilo billet (big bucks$$$)

same goes for rods with the H beam forged stuff like Molnar/K1/Scat with arp bolts and bushed pin for floating pin piston ,,, theres no reason to use 25year old used rods

thats said you can get fully forged rotating assembly these days at around 1600, thats a forged crank (std 3.4" stroke or stroker 3.625") , forged pistons like wiseco or JE (your choice on oversize), and H beam rods like K1/scat in stock length or longer for stroker kits
add a balancer and cat SFI flexplate and still be under 2K for the bottom end

Thanks. I'm glad you pointed out its old lol. And I will definitely be looking for fully forged internals now. With the way I read it, to me it seemed as if I didn't need any forged internals to get where I want to go. My long term goal is 650-700 hp. To the wheels. I have to compete with ss camaros svt cobras and a friend's 95z28. So I'm looking for a sure way to never see tail lights. Is there a go fast hp thread I cant find maybe?

from that list of cars you mentioned my stock motor with a TA49 THdownpipe alkyinjection , 2800 converter and trans rebuilt could take them all and do it day in day out (its a basic mid high 11 combo that can be pushed to low 11s)

buildup a shortblock using one of the rotating assemblies from one of our vendors, center main caps or girdle , ..or have it built
get a set of champion irons or aluminums ,
cometics and arp head studs
roller cam size really wont matter
ported intake is nice (one day ill run one)
rebuilt trans that works (not an aamco special) , ptc converter
3" downpipe (th style or external)
cold air pipe
dual exhaust (or cutout) delete cat
a good front mount (like rjc 3.25 or PTE)
upgrade injectors and fuel system
and even with a 67 turbo 9s are possible

and then theres the tune , chip , , maf based baily and translator, speedensity mafless chip
speed density ecu like FAst XFI

and then tune , tune tune
at which time youll also need to address the traction and suspension as well as rear strength and safety equipment if you plan on hitting tracks

for fuel
street theres alky injection with 93 or if you have available e85 and a bigger fuel setup
That is basically the information I've been Looking for. 93 is the highest pump I can go. Well I have a station in md that sells c16 (I think that's the grade) racing fuel but I rather not go that rout. With the alky injection, is that to up the octane or cool down the motor? I was going to go the 4.1 rout but decided against it after reading some stuff from another forum.

I've never built any gm product in my life. Ive only "built" a cobra. And that was awesome. Divorced woman statement flew thirty yards out of making sense to me lol

I'm curious what the other forums said to turn you against a 4.1
It didn't say do not use a 4.1. It was just stated that if you have a good 3.8 then to just use that. Sorry if I made it sound out to be like, no do not use it at all. Idk if I can put the forum name out. It's another tr forum.

[quote="Rafs-T-Type, post: 3346215, member: 3001no fun always having an empty bank account either. It's also not that fun wrenching on your car more than you drive it.[/quote]
The whole point of my decision of going towards a gn is to have something I can wrench away at. after selling my last project, I've found doing nothing after work is quite monotonous.

Boostjunkie.... Please realize that you have a long way to go as far as learning. The best engine isn't going to get you a 9 sec slip by itself.

Definitely a good bottom end is a good place to start, but don't only get fixated on the engine more than the entire car.