Rocker Arm retainers wearing fast-engine builder HELP !

KWIKR 1

I'm having a very odd problem one a newly rebuild engine . I have about 2-3 per side rocker arm plastic retainers that are showing lots of rapid wear on one side of the retainer(1/16"-1/8"). I noticed the problem 2 weeks ago when I went to replaced the valve cover gaskets . I replaced the worn retainers . Today I pulled the valve covers off again and found it was happening again . I am using Jason Crammers rocker shaft supports . Could the supports be putting some kind of "side load" on the rocker arm thus causing the retainer to wear faster? This has me stumped . please any help is VERY welcomed .

I had the same problem. When I bought replacement rocker arms it turned out not all of the rockers had the pushrod cup properly offset, it was causing the retainers to wear "flat" on one side. I had to use 5 or 6 rockers from my 350 motor to make up a complete set for my V-6. I posted this awhile back when I discovered this. The correct rocker arms are suppose to have a right and left offset for the pushrod seat, if yours, or just some of them have the seat in the center, thats where the problem is. It seams the older the replacement parts are getting the sloppier the quality control is. :mad: Mark

Mark where your replacemant rockers GM or other ? Mine are GM and are marked L & H . And where in proper order as the GM maual shows . I'm thinking it maybe the rocker shafts are in backwards . There is a front and back to the shafts . I have the Sealed Power shafts . One way with the bolts just snug and shaft will float side to side . The other way where the middle hole just does not line up right on . with the bolts just snuged up the shaft is rigid . Any idea which way the shaft should go on ?

I took a look at the rocker arms and they do have offset . Is it possible the shaft is floating side to side and causing this ?

Kwikr, Carefully look at your set-up and be absolutely positive of the following: As viewed from the d/s fender, standing against it looking over your engine:[ Fan is to your left ]

Using the cylinder numbers, the rockers are exactly as below, from front
to back
:

#2 R-L / #4 R-L / #6 R-L
Engine FRONT Coil-Pak
#1 L-R / #3 L-R / #4 L-R

The 'extra' hole in the rocker shaft should be between #3 and #5 and NOT between #1 and #3

Several people have assembled shafts with the rockers in the correct order, but the shafts up-side-down, which will not provide proper rockershaft mounting pillar alignment.

When I installed my TA Perf shafts, the nylon retainers were like trying to put marshmellows into piggy-banks....they'll go but geez did they need a good whack, or 8, with a real hammer! The GM ones needed only a girlie-boy thump and they were in...perhaps some of the nylon retainers are on an angle[?] making one edge too tight against the rocker[?]
Good Luck
Jim​

Jim , rockers arms are in proper position on shaft . I have Sealed Power shafts . the holes for the retainers are only on one side . how can it be upside down ? There are only 3 holes on shaft for mounting bolts .The shafts will bolt in 2 ways . One where the holes are right on . With the bolts hand tight the shaft will move a little side to side . The other way the middle hole is overlaped a bit , but it will still bolt up and the shaft is rigid when done like this .

Is it possible that the GM replacement "off-center" rockers (marked L & H) can create a side load on the rocker arm retainer buttons ? The original style rockers where a "on-center" type . I compared mine to a set of originals from a friend. and he brought it to my attention . it look like it could be the cause of a side load on a rocker arm . The push rod is sitting off center in the cup of the rocker thus "kicking" the rocker in that direction rather then a pushing it straight up on-center . Even maybe more so in a roller set up ? Make sense ???