Rocker panels

BuickBuc

Has anyone seen a plug in the rocker panel like this? It seems modified but why?

Attachments

• 165027.jpg
    165027.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 56
Do you think this one has been repaired where it meets the fender? It looks like some kind of filler.
I’m hardly the expert in this stuff but long ago I did wonder the same thing on my own 34k mile original paint GN. What I found was this particular area looked suspect on many low mile, factory paint, examples I looked at (good ole 80's GM manufacturing at its finest). Many had filler in that seam. Just for fun I went to the Bring a Trailer website because they post lots of photos. I have attached photos from a 17,000 mile GN; 1,200 mile GNX; 296 mile GNX, and a 55 mile GNX respectively for comparison (sorry for the poor quality photos, I just took a pic of my screen cuz it was faster that way) but you can go to the site if you want to see the pics clearer. Bottom line, yours looks on par or better than some in the photos. My guess is yours is likely how it came from the factory (except for the hole that was punched to apply undercoating). Hope this helps.
20230613_111315 - 17,000mi.jpg20230613_113354 - 1,200mi.jpg20230613_112238 - 296mi.jpg20230613_112752 - 55mi.jpg

I’m hardly the expert in this stuff but long ago I did wonder the same thing on my own 34k mile original paint GN. What I found was this particular area looked suspect on many low mile, factory paint, examples I looked at (good ole 80's GM manufacturing at its finest). Many had filler in that seam. Just for fun I went to the Bring a Trailer website because they post lots of photos. I have attached photos from a 17,000 mile GN; 1,200 mile GNX; 296 mile GNX, and a 55 mile GNX respectively for comparison (sorry for the poor quality photos, I just took a pic of my screen cuz it was faster that way) but you can go to the site if you want to see the pics clearer. Bottom line, yours looks on par or better than some in the photos. My guess is yours is likely how it came from the factory (except for the hole that was punched to apply undercoating). Hope this helps.
View attachment 393618View attachment 393619View attachment 393620View attachment 393621
Thanks for the info and pics. Here's the other side. I probably would never have even thought about it if they matched. You can this one has a gap.
Screenshot_20230612-083444~2.png

Thanks for the info and pics. Here's the other side. I probably would never have even thought about it if they matched. You can this one has a gap.View attachment 393623
Thanks for the info and pics. Here's the other side. I probably would never have even thought about it if they matched. You can this one has a gap.View attachment 393623
Interesting... reminds me of what Dennis Kirban once wrote about seeing an original paint GN with the factory chip guard only applied to one side of the car and not the other. Makes me think anything is possible with these cars. Maybe yours rolled through the factory line on a Friday just before quitt'in time :)