Rod, cam and main bearings

excobraguy

Who makes the best bearings for our engines? Also, where would I buy them from??????

Thanks, Dean

H bearings are not for all cranks - like a stock TR crank

IMO, the only people that can answer this are those that have both:
1) Built >dozens of engines
and
2) Has had the opportunity to look into those engines after they have been run.

Problem is that there are probably not to many people that return their engines to the builder for no reason. A reason is probably a reason that has damaged/altered the bearings and is not the fault of the bearing making a judgement on the bearings not true.

A ball mic may show some differences between bearings, but I have not seen anything to cause concern besides, the people making the stuff are probably using better stuff then me - I see specs 5 and 6 places to the right of the decimal!!!

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Federal Mogul "MA" series aluminum 3/4 groove main and rod bearings. What I was told was that they hold an oil film really well and according to Federal Mogul they actually polish the crank as the engine runs. I used them in my new TTA engine. And haven't had any troubles.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Federal Mogul "MA" series aluminum 3/4 groove main and rod bearings. What I was told was that they hold an oil film really well and according to Federal Mogul they actually polish the crank as the engine runs. I used them in my new TTA engine. And haven't had any troubles.

Hey, how many miles do you have on them so far, where did you get them from?

Dls

Call Dan @DLS. he has all the bearings you could need and can steer you in the right direction. I ended up needing a .001 oversize to get my clearances right. Dan hooked me up. :biggrin:

H bearings are not for all cranks - like a stock TR crank

IMO, the only people that can answer this are those that have both:
1) Built >dozens of engines
and
2) Has had the opportunity to look into those engines after they have been run.

Problem is that there are probably not to many people that return their engines to the builder for no reason. A reason is probably a reason that has damaged/altered the bearings and is not the fault of the bearing making a judgement on the bearings not true.

A ball mic may show some differences between bearings, but I have not seen anything to cause concern besides, the people making the stuff are probably using better stuff then me - I see specs 5 and 6 places to the right of the decimal!!!

Probably the best answer I have ever seen about bearings on this board!:D

Over the years, we have built hundreds of turbo Buick V-6 engines from stock to 8 sec., and the specific applications and specs vary greatly. [As does the cost.:) ]

Probably the best answer I have ever seen about bearings on this board!:D

Over the years, we have built hundreds of turbo Buick V-6 engines from stock to 8 sec., and the specific applications and specs vary greatly. [As does the cost.:) ]

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the input but I don't feel my original question was answered......My car should be running mid to high 10's, when I'm done. I don't want anything more than this. So what make of bearings would be good to put in my car, not really concerned about the price for bearings either.

Hey, how many miles do you have on them so far, where did you get them from?

Well, I guess I can't talk too much from personal experience because I have only about 5 or 6 hundred miles on the engine and a couple street races. I'd just go to a local parts store and get them, I got mine next day at O'reilly's, or you could go through a mail order place like summit or jegs. A really good engine/cylinder head guy suggested them to me. It's a plus that they are readily available and not too pricey.

Well, I guess I can't talk too much from personal experience because I have only about 5 or 6 hundred miles on the engine and a couple street races. I'd just go to a local parts store and get them, I got mine next day at O'reilly's, or you could go through a mail order place like summit or jegs. A really good engine/cylinder head guy suggested them to me. It's a plus that they are readily available and not too pricey.

I think I received some good info from Lee Thompson. With your setup, what are you running in the 1/4????

I just got my TA back on the road about 3 weeks ago, so the track was already closed. I just ran a friends '99 z28 last week that runs in the 12's at 110 and put around 5 cars on him in a street race. That is without any fine tuning on 20#s boost. I don't think it would be that hard to get into the 10's with my engine combo, but as it sets I'd guess high 11's on a good tire.

Just my personal experence, Out of all the bearings that i have tried in the last 17 yrs.I like King bearings the best. But it still is all in the clearances that you run through out the motor that matters the most.

HTH

Bought our crank from a board member who had it turned 10/10 and the machine shop that did the work supplied King bearings with the crank. I did some checking and alot of people run King bearings. Getting the clearances right is the most important thing of all though no matter what bearing you run.

Jim

Bought our crank from a board member who had it turned 10/10 and the machine shop that did the work supplied King bearings with the crank. I did some checking and alot of people run King bearings. Getting the clearances right is the most important thing of all though no matter what bearing you run.

Jim

WHo sells King bearings??? Are there any vendors on here that sell them?