Roller cam install questions

Turbo Steve

just got my roller from full Throttle. how do I check end play with the engine installed ? how does the roller button fit in the front end of the cam?

Steve, The best way to check cam endplay is with the rear plug out on the back side of the cam (use a dial indicter) but that's not an option for you with the engine in the car. Basically what you are measuring is the amount of clearance between the nose piece on the cam to the inside wall of the front cover once installed. This is not the preferred way but I’ve had to do it once myself. After nose set up is installed on the cam place a piece of plastic-gage across it and install front cover (w/gasket) and torque all cover bolts to spec, remove cover and check readings on plastic-gage, then adjust from there and repeat. You also should know that the gasket between the front cover and the block does compress ever so slightly and tighten up the clearance once the cover is on for a while. So the first time you complete the process give it a while before removing the cover (you don’t need to continue re-torque the bolts) Also note to make sure that the gasket that you use on the test runs is the same kind of gasket you plan to use on final assembly (example GM vs. Felpro gaskets are different thickness) and common sense tells you to install dry since you will be removing the cover to check plastic-gage.

Last, since I’m not familiar with the style nose that’s include in your kit, my recommendations are for the nose piece that use shims to get desired clearance need.

im using the DLS style button
so no dial indicator needed if the plasti gague is used?
most guys use the felpro's for a cover gasket?

I put a dial indicator on the back side of cam gear thru hole in front of lifter valley, moved cam back & front with screw driver thru fuel pump hole

I put a dial indicator on the back side of cam gear thru hole in front of lifter valley, moved cam back & front with screw driver thru fuel pump hole

x2.

If you can get a dial indicator set with the "see-saw" looking attachment (sorry I don't know what it's called)...this method works perfect. Just be careful not to rotate the cam while preloading it because it will throw off your readings.

The cam button fits real snug in the cam. A plastic or rubber mallet and will be needed to get it on there all the way.

I'm using a Victor Reinz gasket that came in the overhaul gasket kit that Full Throttle sells.

I would torque and loosen the front cover a few times to take out all of the "crush" out of the gasket that way your endplay measurements dont change. That is what DLS recomended to me. :cool: