Roller Cam Question?

86 TR

Work In Progress
I just got my new engine running. I bought a austempered roller cam 212-206, ported irons, intake, 1.55 harland sharps. Are the roller cams in a buick engine noisy? Mine seems fairy noisy. Im running the standard comp cams roller lifters too.

Compared to the flat tappet it sounds like im running a solid roller. It is hydraulic.

I adjusted the preload on the lifters at 1/2 turn. I also ordered correct length pushrods. Plenty of valvetrain oiling.

I guess maybe I should get used to the noise?

This thing pulls like a freakin freight train at 15psi boost. I just don't like how noisy the valvetrain is.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it fairly common?

Thanks

My experience was the same as you ,but 500 miles later and I went to a 20 /5o weight oil and the valve train noise is much better ,even quiet

Yep.

I'm going through the same thing. My guess is that it's the link bar on the lifters that's ticking. I could be wrong.

I had the same problem with my Comp roller cam when I first put my engine together. I called the Comp Cams tech line and they told me that the roller lifters needed more preload than the flat tappet lifters. I put a total of 3/4 turn on them and they have been quiet ever since. Hope that helps :)