Rollmaster excessive chain slack

tcgn

On my engine teardown, I was really surprise to see the rollmaster chain so loose. I can move approx. 1/2" on both sides of the chain. :(
I have approx. 48,000 miles and the chain is the premium IWIS West Germany seamless roller chain with the 100% billet high alloy steel gears. The part number is 1014-4 from Full Throttle about 9 years ago. Now I need to buy another timing gear/chain set for my new hydraulic roller cam, now I'm wondering should I buy the Comp cam 3129 double roller timing chain set instead of another Rollmaster. Never been to the tracks since the rebuilt.
Any thoughts?:confused:

9 years is alot of time on a chain so i would not be dissapointed if it's loose.
You need to figure out what length you need, they do make undersized chains.....
Even a brand new one that is tight to install well loosen up pretty quickly in my experience.

I thought they have the standard size chain but different gears in -.002,.004,
.005 and .010 due to align boring/honing according to TA Performance website
on their TA billet double roller oversized options.

Will the Comp cam 3129 double roller set be very loose after 48,000 miles of driving. I read in some threads that excessive looseness in the timing chain will affect engine performance. Having the rollmaster as the best double roller timing chain set with 48,000 miles and never raced the car (1/4 mile) and has 1/2" play on each side of the chain really bothers me. Maybe the chain might just break one day. Anyone that has any luck with less slack with approx. the same or more miles, please inform me what brand double roller
chain set that you have.:confused:
Thanks

Will the Comp cam 3129 double roller set be very loose after 48,000 miles of driving. I read in some threads that excessive looseness in the timing chain will affect engine performance. Having the rollmaster as the best double roller timing chain set with 48,000 miles and never raced the car (1/4 mile) and has 1/2" play on each side of the chain really bothers me. Maybe the chain might just break one day. Anyone that has any luck with less slack with approx. the same or more miles, please inform me what brand double roller
chain set that you have.:confused:
Thanks

I remember installing a Speed Pro "speed set" chain,or something like that.
It was a German made,roller style chain with a flat back for the tensioner.
Nice design...went over 100,000 miles with that one and no problems.:smile:

The question is not how much you can move the chain but how much you can move the cam gear without moving the crank

9 years is alot of time on a chain so i would not be dissapointed if it's loose.
You need to figure out what length you need, they do make undersized chains.....
Even a brand new one that is tight to install well loosen up pretty quickly in my experience.

I looked into this once.... on rollmaster stuff..... there is a thread I started on it somewhere...... I think the difference is in one of the gears...... and the chains are all the same.

As an engineer.... it puzzles me how you can make the gear larger OD yet has the same pitch chain..... I haven't figured that out yet.... maybe I'm over thinking it though.....

Here is the thread if your interested.....

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/en...-rollmaster-oversize-chain-sprocket-sets.html

Mike Licht has the right question. How many degrees will the crank turn before the cam sensor begins to move? I was told by Brian Weber a few years back 1/2" is normal after a few hundred miles. If you turn the crank and it takes more than 2 degrees before the cam sensor rotates replace the chain otherwise keep rolling.
Mike

Measure crank to cam c/l and subtract the differance of stock crank to cam c/l and that well tell you what you need....

Always smart to break out the degree wheel and associated tools when replacing the camshaft, timing set, etc...

K.