Roofing materials...metal vs. laminated shingles??

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
I need a new roof due to hail damage and I'm wanting to hear some experiences from those that have a metal roof or are in or know about the roofing business. The Pro's and Con's of each.
I've never had a metal roof, but it would appear they are much more durable in the Texas sun and hail than composite/laminent roofs.
Cost is not that much different, and it appears that with the metal roof I could get up to a 30-35% savings on my insurance...thats $200-300 a year or more.

Here's the metal roofing panel I'm considering:
Mueller, Inc. - AP Panel

Here's the laminent 30-year shingle that's my other choice and is what is on here now.
Owens Corning Roofing: Shingles - Oakridge® Shingles

Thanks

So I'm in the same boat and I chose metal. Right now metal is about 15-20% cheaper than 30 year singles mostly because they can save a little labor by laying the metal right over the existing roof.

Plus I'm tired of being up here on this mountain and constantly replacing shingles because of wind.

Now I just need to wait the 4-6 week's wait to get the work done.

So I'm in the same boat and I chose metal. Right now metal is about 15-20% cheaper than 30 year singles mostly because they can save a little labor by laying the metal right over the existing roof.
Except in my case the current shingles are so thick it may cause the metal to be wavy or depress where the screws go so they are going to have to remove my current shingles, overall price is around $280 a sq, and that includes doing the eve trim.

Post back how your's turns out once its done. I'm in no hurry, so it may be a month or 2 before I have it done.

Except in my case the current shingles are so thick it may cause the metal to be wavy or depress where the screws go so they are going to have to remove my current shingles, overall price is around $280 a sq, and that includes doing the eve trim.

Post back how your's turns out once its done. I'm in no hurry, so it may be a month or 2 before I have it done.

It's gonna be at least 6 weeks. Roofers around here are backed up.

Remember if what you pick is Energy Star rated you can get a tax credit. Might as well get that money before they take it back. ASFIK only metal is energy star rated.

Metal all the way. You will MOST likely realize some energy efficiency savings over the long term, and they are less maintenance.

I need a new roof due to hail damage and I'm wanting to hear some experiences from those that have a metal roof or are in or know about the roofing business. The Pro's and Con's of each.
I've never had a metal roof, but it would appear they are much more durable in the Texas sun and hail than composite/laminent roofs.
Cost is not that much different, and it appears that with the metal roof I could get up to a 30-35% savings on my insurance...thats $200-300 a year or more.

Mueller, Inc. - AP Panel

Here's the laminent 30-year shingle that's my other choice and is what is on here now.

Thanks

generally metal roofs are a lot more labor intensive and I can't see 26 guage being too hail proof...I'd take a look at peterson aluminum company...their panels are a standard 24 guage with a good color selection most of which are energy star...they do last forever, but eventually you'll get color fading...when I price shingles it is usually much cheaper than Standing seam because they go on 4 times faster in my experience...also something to consider is pinging noises when it rains...may be very dificult to fall asleep to...any other questions let me know!

Mueller, Inc. - AP Panel

Thanks

o...also forgot to add that i would recommend GAF timberline 30's for shingles

also something to consider is pinging noises when it rains...may be very dificult to fall asleep to...

up here in New England metal roofs are not that popular.. well not in Mass anyway.. I couldn't deal with the noise or the "look" of a metal roof. :p Soooo how much better will a metal roof hold up in winds???

up here in New England metal roofs are not that popular.. well not in Mass anyway.. I couldn't deal with the noise or the "look" of a metal roof. :p Soooo how much better will a metal roof hold up in winds???

depending on the sheeting thickness on the house and how far you space the clips that hold the panels down you could have your roof blow off before the panels go anywhere

my mom and dad have lived in thier house for about 30 years with a tin roof. The roof was ther before they bought the house and no problems. This will be the first time that it has been coted sence the bought the house. so i will have to say go metal. i have lived in my house 9 years and i have not had to do a thing to mine as it is also a tin roof. now the shingled end is leaking all the time and i have to go up every spring and fall and replace the broken and or leaking shingles. That is gettin old.:mad:

I went up to Muellers today to get more info, I'll also be going over to a friend's house that has it from the same installer to take a closer look at it. Only time I've seen it since it was installed was at night.

What I learned at Mueller's today:
NOT ALL are Energy Star rated for tax deductions, it can be dependent on color also, even the same exact sheet but different color may not be. The AP Panel I was looking at, the Ivy Green color is not Energy Star rated., all other colors are in the AP panel.

Also, the Solarguard material will also help reflect the heat, and is also an insulator of the sound during rain/hail storms.
The 26 guage metal when laying on a solid plywood decking plus the thin insulator sheet will be plenty hail resistant. 26 guage is much thicker than most car sheetmetal old or new. I have the thinner 29 gauge on my garage at it survived golfball size hail without even a ding and its not got any backing board behind it like my house would have, its just screwed down to C-perling.

So now I'm calling my insurance to see what type of discount it may get me.

Tamko shingles have a plant in my hometown... dont know whats best but they sure have some nice shingles:cool:

With the metal it cuts more than $250 a year off my home owners insurance!! That is with a Class-4 Hail rating, which the metal at Muellers is classified as that. Plus the energy savings is making this a no brainer now along with all the positive comments about metal. Thanks!