Rough 3-2, is my thinking right?

77 cruiser

Would it help to increase the 3rd clutch feed, & would it help 3rd to release quicker?
Still have a slight bind @ low mid throttle so I need to increase the 3rd accum. hole?
3-2 control is blocked.
3-2 control_LI.jpg

With a built trans and a Superior servo, I was able to fix the 3/2 bind/bang/crunch by changing the servo return spring and adding a cushion spring.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I have a Sonnax servo with heavy return spring & cushion spring. Installed heavy springs in the direct too.

2-3 upshift bind at 1/4 to mid throttle. No real clunk on the coat down shift, but a rough kick down.

2-3 upshift bind at 1/4 to mid throttle. No real clunk on the coat down shift, but a rough kick down.
A stronger servo return spring,the small spring,should help both of those symptoms. Dave Husek should be able to get you what you need.

Do you still have checkball 4? If so, remove it and retest. Same with checkball #2...remove that too.

On my setup I have 4 checkballs in the case and 2 in the valve body: 4 in the case are #3, #6, #9, and #10. On the valve body I omitted the center one #8 for a firmer 1-2 shift.

Also, what is your band travel (clearance). Sonnax recommends .110 but that is way too much for a dual feed setup. Mine is right around .040. Although clearance would most likely affect apply more than release I believe. Less clearance, quicker to apply.

Last edited:
2 & 4 are not there. Band is .045. I have the heavy return on the servo.

Good deal. Unfortunately, that's all the help I have for you. Will be watching to see what others suggest. Keep us posted on what you finally figure out.