Rumours

The Radius Kid

Rumours and the New T/A block

Some days, things can be rather interesting.
Last night was one of those times.
In the stage 2 section of this board a member alluded to knowledge that the new TA Specialties V-6 had inherent flaws according to what a "little blue bird" had told him.
Well,at 5:53 pm est,I called Nick Micale and had a conversation with him.
Here's what I found out.
Only one itteration of the new V-6 has actually been tested[a prototype].
Two more blocks have been cast,one on center,one off center.
After the final machining was performed,both blocks were:
Sliced,diced and julienned.
In the process,areas were discovered where the blocks could be improved EVEN MORE over the original casting patterns.
The changes have been made and an off center version is being assembled as we speak for testing and install in a car to debut at B/Green in May[guess I'll have to be there after all Nick,so Chuck and I can stand and drool over it.:D ]
Perhaps this little tidbit was omitted by the "bluebird",leading to the impression by the speaker that there was inherant problems with the new engine blocks,when in fact,according to Nick there isn't.
Heck none of the new engine blocks have even been built up yet,so how could there be a "problem" of any kind?
I know there will be some feedback on this,and I'm not trying to smash anyone's toes here.
I'm just trying to avert a nasty rumour that shouldn't have been let out of the bag in the first place without *some* sort of proof.
I know Nick will be posting to this,and I welcome any and all opinions on this,good or bad.
This includes the member that started the thread in the Stage 2 forum last night.
I'm open minded,I'll listen.
If there's any mistakes in my description of the developement of the V-6 to date,feel free to correct them Nick.
After all,it's your baby.:)

Now we have a "little blue bird rumor"?

Just to set the record straight, only Mike at TA and myself are the source of info on the upcomming V-6 aluminum block and heads. As the project progresses, we like to give reports of how all is going, and will answer anyone's questions direct.

There were 3 blocks cast last year, one of which was in Bowling Green before it was machined. It has since been machined to the off-center style. The other casting was machined to on-center specs. This was to develop and proof the CNC programs necessary. The third block was cut apart, as Kid mentioned, for analysis of core design and casting accuracy.

The off-center block, which we will install in a GN for evaluation, has been fitted with caps, liners and other parts need to get it ready to build. TA already has the billet crank for it and the other pieces are being spec'ed or ordered so we can then assemble the motor.

The first production run of block castings has been completed and are being prepped for machining operations. Liners, caps and other hardware has been ordered to fit the blocks and ready them for delivery shortly. Many deposits have been made for this first run of blocks so not many will be available for sale. If interested, call TA and reserve one now, or it may be a while for the next production run.

The first machined block has undergone lots of checking and fitting so all can come together in an orderly manner and provide production information. it is our plan to have this first block running in a GN in time to bring it to BG this May. It is planned to have a pre-production set of TA alum heads as well.

There was a big problem in the transition from M&A to TA when the first TA castings were made last summer. The documentation from M&A was not accurate, so a complete CAD design was needed to put them into production. All new CNC programs are now being done especially since MANY improvements have been made to the TA heads.

TA has designed many versions of V-8 aluminum heads over the years and this expertise has been very valuable in development of the new V-6 heads. Not only has increased strength been a design goal, but also improved performance. Both of these goals have been met and the production drawing and patterns are being finished for release to the foundry. Castings for the Street and Track eliminator versions should be done next month.

There is no secret, TA plans to have the strongest and best performing aftermarket alum heads available for the Buick V-6. Lots of outside expertise has been obtained and input used for the design changes necessary to accomplish this feat.

With the CAD design done, the CNC machining operations should follow quickly. It is planned to offer the base castings which will have CNC finished ports and combustion chambers. Complete, assembled heads will also be available as will custom porting, springs or other customer options.

What may seem like a simple project to produce heads and a block has required LOTS of time, money and expertise to get done. Our major goal, like always in the past at TA, is to make sure it is done right before the customer gets it. Performance and reliability is important, but so is keeping the customer satisfied. This we wii do with an excellent products.:D

Nick thanks for the up date!

not bad for someone that types with 2 fingers!

everyone should know nick types at about 15 words a minute.

i am just playing Nick!

thanks for the info!
Dathan

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
......not bad for someone that types with 2 fingers!

thanks for the info! Dathan

Am doing better now Dathan, up to almost 20 words a minute!

It did take an hour and a half to do that post however.:)

I think the "little bird " and his friend have flew the coop:D

Thanks for the info,I love new Buick parts

Nick keep up the good work.

Bringing new things to the TR Buick world from a great vendor is a great thing. :) :)

Time well spent, Nick!! Thanks for the update.

Since February was the previously mentioned (around 9 weeks ago) expected release date, it is of course disappointing to those of us who had planned around that time frame. No one had any reason to disbelieve they would not be shipping any day now, here in mid-February, because there was no info to the contrary.

Obviously, many projects commonly take longer than expected, and no product should be released until it's truly ready. No disputing that fact-of-life, especially when quality matters.

What may have prevented "rumors" would have been more regular and/or ongoing updated news, over the last 2 months.

Customers only know what they're told, and generally believe
what very reputable sources (like TA Performance & Nick Micale) tell them. Please take just a moment now & then when announced plans/dates change to let us know.

Again, thanks for your post tonight, and for helping to trail-blaze improved products!

:)

Very nice to hear about the progress of such a great project!:)

Keep up the good work and please let us know how everything is coming along:cool:

Originally posted by Two Lane
Time well spent, Nick!! Thanks for the update.

Since February was the previously mentioned (around 9 weeks ago) expected release date, it is of course disappointing to those of us who had planned around that time frame. No one had any reason to disbelieve they would not be shipping any day now, here in mid-February, because there was no info to the contrary.

Obviously, many projects commonly take longer than expected, and no product should be released until it's truly ready. No disputing that fact-of-life, especially when quality matters.
:)

You are correct in that we should have posted our progress.

No one is more disappointed than me since I get to do the field testing! The situation on the production design drawing from M&A were not evident until we needed them for production. So it was re-done entirely in CAD.

When this became apparent blueprints needed to be re-done, Mike took this opportunity to make some very signifcant design changes to improve performance. This took longer than expected due to other commitments for key personnel.

We are very excited and confident in these improvements and that the delayed production will be forgotten when the heads are released for sale. The strength issue has been taken VERY seriously and lots of consideration [and aluminum!] went into this design phase. Some of the design parameters for performance in this head are very new and exciting for the V-6 Buick.

The final results are in how well it performs in the real world, and we will wait until testing is complete to release that info. Yes, the delay for a month or so is true, but the patterns are now being finalized so the casting process will follow shortly. :)

Nick,

Thanks for posting all the up to date info.
The numbers I hear out of kenny's shop
make these heads worth the wait.
We are talking close to a mild set of stage 2s!

Thanks for all your time into this!

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Nick thanks for the up date!

not bad for someone that types with 2 fingers!

i am just playing Nick!

thanks for the info!
Dathan

Keeripes!
That's way faster than I type.:(:D
Thanks for coming on and posting the info Nick.
You did what you said you'd do and didn't leave me with my "balls on the block",so to speak.
Sounds like you follow through on other things as well.
The whole reason this thread was started by myself was because a well respected member of the T/R world and his new product were about to be submarined by nasty little,unfounded rumors.
Nick didn't deserve that.

This thread was moved from the lounge to tech,at mine and Nick's request.
I actually called a moderator long distance and had it done[I always love talking to ya Bud!You've got my cell,don't be a stranger].
So if anyone has any beefs about this thread being moved,e-mail me,not the moderators,it was my call,my thread.
Quite frankly,this is the best place for this thread.I blew it by posting it originally in the lounge.
However,the mark of what you're made of comes down to how you handle mistakes after you make them.
I think I handled this one okay.
I even got five stars.:D

I'm rambling now,but I think this all turned out for the best because it gave Nick a chance to update the block situation.
I think it may have slipped his mind with all the work he's been doing lately.
Stop working so hard Nick!
Guys like you,Jack Cotton,Bruce Toelle,et al are why I still buy parts to upgrade the "beast" instead of just enjoying a stocker.
Keep up the good work,and I'll see you in B/G,fate allowing.

Take care.:)

I CAN'T wait to get one! HEHEHEHEHE

It's almost like the first time you kiss. . . " You just don't know how far you can get!" - (Speed and Power guys)

Nick since your in the typing mood did you say your working on a new stock location intercooler and if so hows its progress coming thanks John