Running GEN 7's

Bring 'em... If I can't answer them directly, I can get them answered pretty quickly.

ADFIguy,

There is an 87T-type in the shop that has lots of problems. The owner performed the install and spent a couple months trying to get it to run, no go. Originally the car had no spark and the injectors would not fire. Spark was traced to wiring, and injectors were traced to wiring/corrupted file. Car now starts, runs extremely rough and stalls almost immediately. It will not run continuous without throttle. ECU continually sets code 72 - cam/crank signal error(which we believe is wiring related and is the cause of most of our problems); however, this just started today. The car was run shortly last Friday and this Monday with the same symptoms, but no errors were stored . Cam sensor wheel was loose and hitting the cap, it was fixed and adjusted to factory spec. Crank sensor is questionable, I haven't checked it yet, but I believe it is wired incorrectly or is a faulty sensor.

What I need(if the crank sensor checks OK), but would like to have regardless:

Buick main wire list - We have called accel for a list(we are an authorized EMIC), They were supposed to fax one to us, but it never arrived and now they are not returning our calls. There is no buick list in the help files.

A revised Buick DIS harness list - car will not run with the original unmodified accel DIS harness configuration. The owner was advised by accel on how to modify their harness; however, car still runs terribly. We believe this is also problem.

Our configurations:

Ignition I/O references are adjusted as is described in HELP.
Ignition delay is 100 us.
Crank index offset is 10 dg.
Firing order is 165432.
IAC FeedFwd counts is 10.98.

Thanks for any help,

Chris Skarzenski

Chris,

The DFI tech guy wanted me to ask you if you work at Norwood Autocraft, or are you a friend of Mike's by chance? He hasn't been blowing any calls off, just been very very busy lately.

The Buick main wire list is identical to the Chevy main wire list in the online help.

There have been no revisions to the GN DIS harness, it is still as listed in the online help.

IF the ECM that you have is revison 2.0 or higher, you can check the operation of the Cam/Crank sensor inputs through the calibration software via the Diagnostics->Input Diagnostics menu item. You can pull the cam/crank inputs to ignition voltage or ground them to make the leds on the screen flash as the state of the inputs change in the ECM. This will verify the integrity of the module, not the wiring. Hopefully the crank sensor will fix some of your problems.

Also, be sure your firing order is 16543278, the module requires that all 8 positions are filled in for proper operation even though you are only using the first 6.

Good Luck.
Stev

Stev,

Thanks. Yes, I work at Norwood's. I definately understand about being busy. This is the third customer install GEN 7 DFI car we've dealt with(my first) and it's definately not quick troubleshooting improper wiring.

The firing order is correct at 16543278. I did not know about the diagnostics function on the ECU, but I'll check it out(This is the first accel system I have dealt with and I haven't had a chance to go through all the functions yet).

An unmodified DIS harness was installed to check operation and the car wouldn't fire, this leads me to believe the main harness/DIS connector has been tampered with.

It's going to be Tuesday or Wednesday of next week before I can get on it, but I'll update you on what I find.

Thanks for all of your help,

Chris