Running pure alky or a blend?

DeltaT

I'm curious whether most of you are running pure meth or some type of blend. A number of people on ls1tech.com are running Ford's windshield washer fluid which is (reported to be, I haven't checked) 60% meth, with the rest water and probably a tiny amount of mild surfectants (soap).

If you're running pure, any recommendations on where to get it in NorCal without paying racing gas prices?

I don't expect to use much. It's more of an insurance policy for hot days, dyno sessions and track runs.

Any other input about blends - success or horror stories, are appreciated.

Jim

I run straight methanol but check with the manufacturer of your kit or pump. There not all built as good as the alkycontrol.com products.

Are you running methanol now, if so what kit? Julio recommends straight methanol with his kit.
I have some ls1 friends and they swear by mixing methanol and water in a 50/50 mix.
I would say go with what your manufacturer says but hey I have been wrong before.

Straight alcohol here as well. Humm.. methanol is typically 3-5 dollars per gallon. Wonder how much a gallon of Ford windshield washer fluid is :rolleyes:

If you want to run mix.. fine.. but once you tune it on 50/50, 60/40, 70/30.. etc.. you better keep that exact mixture or your tune will be off. That is if you can get it tuned in on the mix to begin with.

And as above, contact your kits MFG for recommendations on how to make your car fast.. he knows what should be sprayed and how to tune your motor. After all.. that is why they sold you a system no? ;)

Razors kit

what kind of alcohol, like denatured from lowes?have not got mine installed yet, next week!!

I also run straight methanol with an smc kit. I am able to buy 5 gal at a time from a local racing shop. It cost me about $21.00 for 5 gal.

Razors kit is set up for 100% methanol. Steve's (SMC) kit is set up for denatured with a lube additive.

Good advice and info, thanks.

One last question, when you store pure meth, does it degrade over time is it in a tightly closed metal can?

Jim

I don't think degradation is the problem; water absorption is something to worry about if the container is either unsealed or left in an area where condensation can occur.

I run denatuered but since I put a powerstroke intercooler and bigger turbo I am switching to Methanol. It cheaper and since I have to retune now is agood time to change. Like razor says stick with one thing once its tuned. I like denatured but I dont like $11 a gallon vs $5 or less a gallon for meth.

Well, I just checked with out local speed shop, and they are getting $40 for 5 gallons of meth, plus our local 8.25% tax!

The problem around here is that chemical sales are so restricted that sources are difficult to find. If you try to buy from out of state, UPS and Fed-Ex will either not ship it or charge a hefty hazardous materials charge.

Still worth checking - anyone have an online source that's cheap?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Razor, I've got a good source for denatured. (heck, I sell paint for a living). Do you have any favoritism for or against it, regadless of price? (vs meth, of course)

My SMC's use NON- lube

Razors kit is set up for 100% methanol. Steve's (SMC) kit is set up for denatured with a lube additive.
I have 2 of the latest SMC alky kits....and BOTH say to use NON-LUBE additive with 100% methanol. You can run almost anything(50/50, denatured, washerfluid) in theses kit as long as it is not lubed. These kits are a breeze to install and work great...
They work so good that we(at school) are installing another one on a customer's car.
Jus' my .o2 cents.

I had one of the original SMC alky kits (required Klotz lube in the denatured), so I can only speak from that experience.

Hey Razor, I've got a good source for denatured. (heck, I sell paint for a living). Do you have any favoritism for or against it, regadless of price? (vs meth, of course)

The denatured works fine.. depends on how greedy your tuneup and how fast the car is. If your really greedy.. and the car is really fast.. note the use of Really.. you really need to be using a race fuel.. aka methanol.

Every car is different, your tuneup will change when you run one vs the other. And no lube on my system.

I always ran denatured in my old SMC kit, but now that I am switching over to yours, I just wanted your input, thanks.

what kind of alcohol, like denatured from lowes?have not got mine installed yet, next week!!

I finished hooking mine up on Saturday and have no idea where to buy Methanol around Pittsburgh (Hint, hint, somebody help! :D ), so I went to Lowe's for some denatured. After taxes it came to $14.83 ! :eek: :eek: .
I don't know what's worse; the price, or that I actually bought it :rolleyes:

If anyone has interest, I'll set up a Sherwin Williams account with a good discount for the Denatured, and Xylene. I've run straight denatured in my SMC kit for years with no probs, and will probably try it with Julio's kit since he doesn't have a problem with that. It's just easier for me. I can set up an account that will be good at any SW store, anywhere in the country.