Running rich in the midrange - not sure how to adjust

BrentNKC

"Hi Folks,

I went to dyno today and had a few suprises.

The first was the wideband Air Fuel measured on the car was off the charts rich (below 10 which is not measured) from approx 3000 to 4000 rpm then it straightened out in higher rpm. Also, my idle was way rich.

The second one was at higher rpm and boost (23 pounds) the spark seem to break up. I subsequently pulled a plug and it looked pretty foul from running race gas too rich. I will replace the spark plugs and hope this goes away.

My concern is that if the car continues to run rich I will just foul the plugs again.

My car is set to the default settings with the Turbo Tweak chip for this configuration. Fuel pressure is also verified at 43 pounds. I am running 22/23 pounds on boost with a half and half mixture of 110 and 91 octane gas. I installed a new maf translater and have it set for the impala MAF and at no change (0). I do not have any error codes on the scanmaster. About 400 miles ago, I replaced my 02 sensor with a heated 02 sensor. My scanmaster stopped reading O2 counts correctly. I am wondering if I need to try a normal 02 sensor again where I can read the o2 counts. The reason I mentioned this is if scanmaster is not reading the O2 maybe that is why it is running too rich in that 3000 to 4000 rpm band and idle.

Any thoughts? Thank You and sorry for the long note.
Please let me know if any scanmaster values would help. I am new to all of this, so I may need some instructions on which values and what rpm

Brent

1987 GN Astroroof, 45k, TE44C, 42.5 injectors, Duttweiler neck, TurboTweak, RJC Plenum, 3"" Poston Downpipe, MAF translator, Poston Headers, Hooker cat back, Poston Ram Air kit with K&N

"

Which Translator the Gen 2 If so you can adjust all the RPM bands however you like & really fine tune it but with a regular translator I dont think you can?

my heated O2 would not show good cycle on the SM as well, Erics chip is programed to idle around 800mv and my mid range under accel is a little rich as well

Thanks for the reply guys. I just have the basic translator that allows adjusting fuel for everything. I am changing o2 sensor and plugs and will see what happens.

Hi Folks,

After changing back to regular non-heated O2 sensor and spark plugs the car seems to be running much better.

Thanks!

Brent

Thanks for the reply guys. I just have the basic translator that allows adjusting fuel for everything. I am changing o2 sensor and plugs and will see what happens.

With a Gen 2 you can break it into 400rpm segments for real fine tuning. I havent on mine yet but not really pushing for everything right now. Need a few track days or some dyno time.