Rust Free Arizona Grand National

Jack Evers

I've been obsessed with these turbo cars since I bought my first one in 1987. My interest has waned over the past few years but I've hung in there as my closest friends were in the GN community. After giving the matter some further thought, I've decided to go ahead and sell the GN and the parts I've accumulated over the years. I'm convinced the close friendships that have developed over my Buick years will endure.

I bought this 1987 Grand National from Mike Zimmerman, our engine builder, in February of 2005. The car's odometer read 95,000 miles, but the motor had only 200 miles on the build that he did to it. Mike had built this motor as you might expect a builder such as Mike to put together a motor for his own car. He spent a week on the heads alone, hogging them out, installing big valves and getting them to flow huge numbers for stock heads. He installed billet steel mains, JE pistons, a 214/210 roller and roller rockers. He had the car to the track only once, and with a TA49, blue tops and a Dutt neck intercooler, ran 11.5's at 115 mph.

Mike was asking $16,000 for the car when I looked at it in February. I ultimately bought it for $14,000. Within a week I replaced the turbo with a PT52, the injectors were changed over to 50 lb's and a V4 Intercooler replaced the Dutt Neck. I also installed a MaxEffort thumbwheel and CenterLine Convo Pro's with new BFGtires. Another set of Convo Pro's was purchase along with a set of MT Street Radials and a 3600 top hat L/U converter. A set of new Monroe top of the line shocks was installed at that time as well. John Craig rebuilt my PT52 and the exhaust runs through a TH stainless down pipe into a TH 2 3/4" dual exhaust.

The horsepower this car was now making was too much for my stock rebuilt 2004R and she sent away. At that point, we had the tranny rebuilt was many billet parts, to a high 10 second build. The converter was also sent to Hughes here in Phoenix for a complete overhaul.

Shortly after the tranny rebuild, I took it to the track and with the PT52 only putting out 22 pounds boost, I had runs of 11.1 and 120+ MPH.

Ten second runs for this car would be a no brainer with a bigger turbo and more injector. I elected not to do that as the car does not have a roll bar and it's too nice a car to chop up with a roll bar or cage. The car now has 98,000 miles on the clock but only about 3,000 miles on this motor and less than 1,000 on tranny and converter. I've made less than 20 passes on the car since I've owned it and never put more than 22 pounds of boost to it. Oil pressure is 30 psi at hot idle and about 60 psi at hot cruise. Engine is as strong as when it left Mike's shop.

This car was purchased new in Arizona and has never left the state. There is no rust to be found anywhere and the body and interior are excellent. There is nothing left to be done to this car. To duplicate this engine build would cost an estimated $5,000.00.

This is a great car.

Second set of Convo Pros with new 28" MT Street Radials go with car.

$15,000.00 or best offer. No trades.

Attachments

• 081905g.jpg
    081905g.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 295
  • newcarb.jpg
    newcarb.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 256
  • newcar6.JPG
    newcar6.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 081905f.jpg
    081905f.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 241
  • newcar5.JPG
    newcar5.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 231
5k? That is way to generous, maybe 2k for Krom's car? Ok 3k with the heads.
Dennis this would be a great car for you. Sell grandma's car and come race! :D
Anyone looking to buy, this is an AWESOME car.

Dan
11.3@118 old combo....

d90dan said:
5k? That is way to generous, maybe 2k for Krom's car? Ok 3k with the heads.
Dennis this would be a great car for you. Sell grandma's car and come race! :D
Anyone looking to buy, this is an AWESOME car.

Dan
11.3@118 old combo....

mmm, I do have a 4 car garage and only 3 cars. :D

don piet said:
Is the car still for sale? Does it have a clean car fax? Does the AC work?
Has the car been repainted? reply to donald.piet@siemens.com or call cell at 7347514676.
Thank You
don piet

A/C and everything but the power antenna works great. Car has not been repainted. Just the hood.

New Price

Car is still for sale. $14,250.00. Next step AutoTrader.

Hanging up the GN's for Audi's.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 252
Do you still have the stock rims for the car??How is the paint??I know that Arizona sun likes to beat up on paint out there...You are getting into my price range,And I am ready to buy soon...Would just have to look into shipping cost's..Please call me Anytime...732-778-2273 (Thats my cell...And Im always up late)

Thanks,Shawn

19TTA89 said:
Do you still have the stock rims for the car??How is the paint??I know that Arizona sun likes to beat up on paint out there...You are getting into my price range,And I am ready to buy soon...Would just have to look into shipping cost's..Please call me Anytime...732-778-2273 (Thats my cell...And Im always up late)

Thanks,Shawn

Shawn, I can attest to the fact that jack's car is very, very nice. One of the more upkept, clean gn's I have seen around. :)

Thanks, Stu, I try to keep the car nice.

Shawn, I'll try call you tomorrow. I don't have the original wheels anymore. Paint is great but not perfect. Some very minor laquer checking on the rear spoiler.

Am attaching a couple more photos that I took today. If you want specific photos of any part of car let me know.

Attachments

• DSCF0062.JPG
    DSCF0062.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0063.JPG
    DSCF0063.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 77
Did I mention, Shawn..

..that an extra set of Center Line Convo Pro wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Radials (near new), over $600.00 in wheels and tires, go with the car for that price.

Attachments

• DSCF0066.JPG
    DSCF0066.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 191
cooled84 said:
Don't want to see the GN go Jack, but that is a good looking Audi.

Richard (84)
Jack let me drive it today, if I had a spare $50k it would be a great choice.

Krom

Dennis tell me you did the right thing and bought it!

Up for some racing Tomorrow night? :cool:

Dan
11.3@118 old combo....