saving another limited or so I hope!

xpander343

I'm doing a quasi-rustoration on my car and thought i'd post my progress to somewhat keep myself enthused about the whole process.

I picked this car up 3 years ago and when I bought it the owner hadn't driven it in 3 years for various mechanical issues it had developed.

Slowly I've repaired many of the issues its had, and its a pretty fun summer car to mess around with. I've finally decided that I really need to address the holes in the floor, my brutal paint, and my leaky(probably rusting) t-tops.

The first year I got the car running and on the road, second year I had the rear frame rails replaced and 6 body mounting places replaced. This year hopefully I get the car painted and back together again!

This past weekend I started the disassembly process, and so far I have the interior pulled out, and some of the exterior work removed. I havent gotten to the t-bars yet. I'm not pulling the weather stripping and other things until the day off it going into the body shop. I planned on trying to remove almost everything I could. I'm going to have the windows removed.

here is a couple pics so far.

I thought the floor would be worse on the passenger side since thats the side that the tops leak mostly on, but they look pretty good. The drivers side is pretty brutal.

sorry about the flicker pics.....had the pics there first.
PICT0015 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PICT0010 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PICT0009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If anyone has any suggestions i'm open to ideas.

WOW--looks like quite the project. Glad to see one saved and not scrapped.

Keep us updated on your progress!!!!:cool:

Geoff

I think for the floor i'll probably just go with something like year 1 or see what the body shop guy wants to do.

Thanks for the support guys!

Lots of work ahead - we're following your progress

Floor pans L & R are available thru Poston and GBodyParts as well as Sherman & Browns of Two Rivers etc.

I believe the G - bodies interchange, Cutlas and Regal for sure and I think Monte's too. That used floor will provide seat supports that are not on the replacement pans......... which can save work in that area but may add some prep elsewhere.

Thats all I got - I have a similarly rusted GN. Ouch.:(
Bob

the part that kills up here in canada is the shipping for big stuff like floor pans! i'll see what I can dig up here. I'm hoping the Tbar isn't too bad, I actually managed to pickup an entire t-roof and A pillas that were in mint shape for a decent price back in the fall.

pics of the T-roof

Took some more of the car apart yesterday. The T-roof isn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I had then had it towed over to the body shop and talked with the owner about a plan. I'm gonna have the car media blasted so we can find the rest of the holes. The plan is to have all the glass pulled before it gets blasted.

here is some pics of the t-bar.

roof4.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof8.jpg

roof.jpg

....and that's one of the many reasons I hate T-Tops.

Good luck to you on your quest, cause it looks like your gonna need it;)

looks like it's gonna be some work. Just take the time to do it right the first time and you shouldn't have any problems...;)

well hopefully thats the plan. I'm not in a particular hurry to get the car. I'll try to takes pics as the project moves along. Then hopefully if anyone spots something they can let me know.

for patching the t roof dont try to use big pieces use small pieces.

I think for the floor i'll probably just go with something like year 1 or see what the body shop guy wants to do.

Thanks for the support guys!

If you want we can cut the pans in half underneath the seat brace & ship USPS for you to save on over size shipping costs.
I may also have some T-top cars around here I can cut sections out to help save your roof. It would probably take 3 cars to get enough panels for 1 roof.

Actually last year I lucked into a guy that was parting out a t-top GN where the roof was completely mint so I was able to buy the whole roof from the tops of the doors up. I was afraid my t-bars would be in worse shape. The body guy thinks he can patch it up without having to use any pieces from the other roof.

I appreciate your offers to help brian. I think the floor pan i'm getting from cross canada should be okay. Though there is a bunch of other little things I need to bug you about later.

The windows are supposed to be all pulled wednesday, and I have a couple other little things to remove so it can go for blasting.

Well its been well over a year and my car is finally done at the body shop. It was actually finished being painted back around christmas, but the body shop owner was nice enough to let me store it there until I found some indoor storage for it. I'm pretty excited about putting it all back together again. I'll take some pics when it makes it back into my garage. Hopefully I can remember where everything goes!

I got a pair of aftermarket pans and my bodyshop cut the rusty ones out and welded the new ones in.

Its been so long since I looked at it, I'd partially forgotten what it looks like! Hopefully I'll have it ready for driving by the fall.

The car made it home yesterday after spending a very, very long time at the body shop. I'm pleased with how it turned out consider how the car was before I took it there, and for the overall price I ended paying to get all the work done. Its not perfect, but it will perfect for my purpose. Now just for the long purpose of putting it all back together again!

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg