Securing car to trailer questions

squeeze87

I have a 16' utility trailer that i am going to use for my car. Currently, there are no D-rings on it. How many are there on a regular car hauler and what are the points on the car to hook the chains/slings to? I have 2 chain pull downs, a 5' length of chain with a hook on each end, and 4 nylon straps with d-rings on each end. I purchased these from a friend who had a trailer but sold it. I assume the slings go around the axel, but what about the front? Thanks for the help.

I would seriously weld some D-ring mounts underneath if I were you. There are 4 on most car haulers (each setting out in front and a little to the outside of each wheel, with the rears out to about level with the rear bumper).

But, to answer your questions:

I use 2 cut down ratcheting straps (the BIG ones) and secure the frame to the front 2 d-rings via the holes in the frame right in front of the fro. tire.

I then let the car roll back a few inches so that they are tought and strap the rear axle down.

I do ratcheting axle straps (available from trailer supply stores) on both sides of the rear axle housing out back goin to D-rings, then torque the hell out of them (since the rears are easier to ratchet than the front).

HOPE this helps a little...

The way I tie down my car is as follows:

I use the holes in the frame (jacking point) behind the front wheels and the holes in front of the rear wheels. I installed large chain couplers(the ones that you could attach two pieces of chain together with the hex in the middle with threads) in my trailer. I criss-cross the rear straps and fronts I go straight.

I used to tie the rear axle but did like it so much because the car still bounces around to much. When you see the car carriers on the road, they down the chassis.

Hope this helps

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

as a flight engineer on a chinook i know a bit about PROPER securing, we have to secure EVERYTHING in case a crash sequence takes place. straps and chains work as follows, there is a rated value that the military uses that is based off of manufacuter recomdations for their straps. the best angle for straps is 30 degrees from the vertical, at that angle you get 75 percent of the straps rated value in a forward direction and 25 percent in the up direction, seeing that our cars are not flying in their trailer, only the forward number really matters to us, also the average weight is lets say 3,000 lbs, most people use 4 straps rated at 10,000 and hopefully the tie down points are rated at the same, so you have 20k of rated value on both ends of the car, but the adjusted value is only 15,000 lbs due to the strap angle, sound like alot, but in a crash it is easy to puch 7 g's in an impact, 7 times your 3,000 lb car is 21,000 lbs, the straps have just broke and your car is not flying towards the front of the trailer, its is a good idea to double the rear straps ad reinforce the tiedown points,i have. and all these values are based on NEW stuff not your oily and beat up ones and rusted trailer bottoms. because if all we straped our cars down for was easy driving we could just put them in park, the straps are there for the bad days, but this is just the ideas that i have, everyone has there own.
Grant