Sending Unit Repair Instructions

84GNGary

Long Time Owner
I just fixed my non-working sending unit which was causing the gas guage to malfunction. Since there are a lot of posts regarding this I took pictures and wrote instruction on how I diagnosed and fixed it. I attached it to a link on my web page for all to use. The only thing is that I do not know the wire color coding for the 86/87. I think it is Gray( +12 volts fuel pump), purple
(sending unit signal), and black(ground) If someone can let me know if this is correct I will add it in there.http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6853/index.html

What kind of dash do you have digital or analog ?

I removed my sender from my 87 turbo t with analog dash and the reostat was not the same as yours .

Analog. Although I have never seen one from a digital dash if it is a reostat it should work same, just varying the resistance with fuel level changes. I would need to see a schematic of it to be sure.

Sorry Pete, I thought you had a digital dash. Even though they look different they have to all work the same way. The wire colors are different but operation would be the same.

thats weird my sender was just like this one that cheeseburger is selling

Attachments

• 113_1306 (Medium).JPG
    113_1306 (Medium).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 90
The purple wire would be the signal wire from the sending unit. If you go across the purple and ground you should have 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full. Just follow my instructions as far as diagnosis goes and subtitute your wire colors Grey(+12V fuel pump) purple(signal wire) black(ground) and see what you come up with. You still have to have rotating contacts in there and thats where my problem was. Just getting to them may be different.
My motto has alway been if someone put it together, then I can take it apart.

Pete, take some pics if you can taking it apart and internally and I will add them in there too. Let me know how you make out.

Gary

Apparently the site is now recieving too much traffic, exceeding it hourly data transfer limit and shutting down :eek: . Sorry, just be patient :(