serious XP problems....need some computer advice/troubleshooting

fireberd350

some backround:
my compaq laptop has been acting up recently....it would freeze randomly a few times per day out of the blue, i could never pin point the problem...

well last week i downloaded and installed microsoft XP SP1 and of course it froze while downloading so i rebooted and gave it another try....and it was about 90% thru the install and working with some .dll files and it froze....

now i try to reboot and it goes to the loading screen w/ the yellow bar going back and forth but then just turns off and starts over....it would loop indefinatly if i dont power off....

i hit F8 and tried booting in everyu possible option i was given....i tried the 6 disk XP boot disk with no luck b/c it gets me to the prompt but no C: access

im stuck i have no idea what to do, i could run the system restore disk(re-format) but i have sooooo much irreplacable content on my HD such as school work and digital photos so that is my absolutly positivly last resort, i am determined to find another way

ANY HELP WOULD BE HUGELY APPRECIATED, thanks in advance

In most cases, when a computer freezes, it's hardware problems and nothing to do with the operating system. Does it feel hot to the touch?
If it's still under warranty, you may want to send it back to Compaq (but you'll have to scarifice all your files, since they'll do a clean rebuild). If it's out of warranty, you might want to consider yanking the laptop hard drive, buying a $7 adapter to connect it to a regular PC, and then copying the files that you want to keep, to that PC. Re-install the hard drive, and then do clean rebuild.

i didnt know i could yank the HD and connect it to a PC...if i cant get it to work ill go that route...and no i dont get to the XP welcome screen, it only goes as far as teh XP logo w/ the sliding yellow bar underneath it w/ the black backround

thanks for the link...i already looked up a tech message board and posted there as well but one more cant hurt:)....thanks again, wish me luck

Originally posted by fireberd350
thanks for the link...i already looked up a tech message board and posted there as well but one more cant hurt:)....thanks again, wish me luck

They have never failed, never.:)

There could be any number of problems. Although if you can not even boot into safe mode, there is something wrong. Try to boot into safe mode and leave it alone for awhile. Sometimes safe mode takes a very long time. I would also scan your system for viruses, LoveGate and my vavorite KLERZ have been floating around. They can create havoc. Worst case, install the drive into a regular system and try to scan with a virus tool. You may be surprised. Also sometimes you can reinstall the OS, it will ask you to repair the current version. Sometimes this will work also. If all this fails, your bets bet is to format the drive and reinstall from scratch. Hope this info helps.

If you can ever get into safe mode, you can run system restore, and take it back to a previous good configuration. Assuming its a software problem, that will take care of it...Godd luck.

SP1 contains some changes to your registry. If you had an error on you computer while loading SP1 more than likely you'll have missing or corrupt files on your registry now. I had many problems with my computer after installing SP1 and I had to delete some registry files according to microsoft's knowlege base. I recommend you search their knowledge base at www.microsoft.com. Perhaps the problem has been addressed there already. Do as others suggested and try to run the repair diagnostic if nothing else fails. Good Luck,

James