serpintine belt sizing

89IndyTA

Never enough time........
I kept stretching the Kelley belt that measured at 63.5 inches long, (sorry I do not remember the part #) this also was destroying my tension pulley to boot. So today I replaced the tension pulley with a replacment pulley part Dayco # 89003 and the belt with Gates K060620. At first it did touch the I/C d. side mount but after the engine idled for a few minutes with the A/C (and bracket out of the way) on it stretched and became a "good" fit having the same distance from the A/C puuley as the Kelley belt before the stretching occurred. All in all I don't think this is the only solution to the "we no longer make the proper size belt" problem but it was the one I came up with. The belt is close to the I/C bracket prolly within 1/2 inch but I'm happy with this out come so far. The last Kelley serpintine belt was only 1.5 weeks old with use of A/C and was shot. I just could not see replacing it every week even though they are $10 a pop.

I hope this helps anyone that has had this problem..........

Strange, on mine the Kelly 635K6 (63.5") belt works fine. Been on there for a year with no problems. They must have changed something midway through production on the TTA's...................JK

Ive put about 150 or so miles on my Kelly belt, A/C on and off and no problems whatsoever, it looks tight to me and nowhere near causing any rubbing....

Indy, you may have replaced the actual bad piece of the system inadvertantly. Those tension pullies really should be replaced with every other belt. The springs get more tense and cause all kinds of belt problems along with the driven components. I have had many alternators and A/C bearings fail due to tense tensioners. Keep us posted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mark :D

HMMMM

Never thoght of a tensioner getting tighter as years go by I would of thought it would go lose or slack, but what the hay. Anything is possible, This fix I posted has work well for a couple of days now and the belt has not stretched any further than the initial stat up and idle time, I have logged 126 miles on this new pulley and belt.

Thanks to those that have replied.................