Shifter gate play

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
I want to try to snug up my shifter. It has some play while in gear, where it moves forward and backward a little. I've been in other TR's that had a nice stationary, firm shift rod while in all the gear positions.

I looked under the car for the linkage to the trans, but nothings visible. Do I need to remove the center console to tighten down the shifter assembly, or snug up the cable? Is it cable operated, or metal linkage? Any info on tightening it up would help. TIA

I'm in the middle of fixing this same problem.

Assuming the side-to-side play is ok, the first thing I found was the eyelet on the cable connecting to the shifter was worn. The pin was also worn. I'm replacing the cable and shifter (although the pin could be removed and replaced with something else of the same diameter.)

Next, the bushings in the U-bracket on the trans are shot. They are part of the bracket and not available seperately. I'm sure something could be put in there or just replace the bracket. Something like $9 from the dealer.

Next, the bushing and sleeve up where the rod down to the trans attaches at the column are shot. Cheap at the dealer.

Finally, the nylon washer on the chassis side of the rod that connects the column to the trans bracket it somewhat worn. Not much though.

That's in decending order of slop.

Remove the ashtray, remove the two shifter indicator screws, remove the indicator light/accordion, remove the pin holding the cable on the shifter pin and look at the hole in the cable and at the pin. I'll bet they are worn.

There is the potential for slop in the pin that holds the shifter to the shifter frame but on mine that wasn't the primary place for slop. That cable and pin at the big ones.

New cable was $52 from the dealer and I got a nice shifter from BWeavy.

Terry

New shifter cable fixed the slop in mine...the cable eyelet on the shifter end was oval shaped...

Thanks guys! That's probably my source of slop too. The shifter in my car has seen LOTS of usage. I'll get down in there and have a look once I finish fooling with other tasks.

And yes, the side-to-side play is fine. There isnt any horizontal movement or loosness. Just the vertical direction of the shifter itself.

Thanks again for the insight and suggestions. :cool:

UPDATE: Yanked the console out to have a look. (And vacuum under it while I was there) The eyelet on the end of the cable was all streched open and oval shaped.

Anyone have any good rig-up suggestions to tighen it up? A the moment, I rigged a cotter pin in there that takes up the slack. Nice and tight park, drive, and the gear selections, but reverse and neutral still have a little slack.

Might just get a new cable eventually. Is R&R of the cable pretty simple? Never fooled with it. I dont see how it fits on the end of the little thing it connects to anyway, being that its grooved.