Shopping for my first handgun, need advice

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Hey Everybody-
I've shot big bolt action rifles and shotguns my whole life, and I have shot quite a few handguns as well. I'm currently shopping for my own, and would like some advice. What's a good first semi-auto handgun? I've fired Glock 9mm and .40 as well as Kimber .45 and a bunch of others, and .45 is definitely too big for me right now. As far as carrying goes I'm not sure if I'll be doing any of that. Gotta protect my Buick! Thanks for the help.

glock is outstanding-10,000,000 police and drug dealers cant be wrong
s&w sigma series was an almost exact copy-another great one

I realllllly like the Glock 19. It had great balance, fired tight groups, and ran through 500 rounds at the range no problem.

If you are new to handguns I would suggest a Glock for several reasons. Main thing is, it is going to fire when you pull the trigger no matter how clean, nasty, or wet it may get!

I have alot of pistols but the Glock is the one I reach for!

yeah i have a glock 22 which is the 40 cal its a good choice. also rugers are not bad either my friend has a few and i like them. Glocks are reliable and easy to dissasemble and clean. I wouldnt get a 9mm cuz they are lacking the knockdown power of a 40 and a 45. i would say get a 40 you wont be dissapointed.

GLOCK 9mm OR .40 cal. midsize.
I have been carrying a Glock since they came out (G-17 on duty & G-26 off duty) hands down the best handguns I have ever owned/used. And very reasonable in cost.
Academy stores in Houston sell all Glock models for $499.99 (as of this week anyway)

D:smile:

Handgun suggestion.

I own two Sig Sauers and wouldnt trade them for anything. My 9 mm is a P239, it is a medium size weapon easily concealed in a waistband if needed, it holds 9 rounds, and can be made to shoot .357 rounds with just a barrel change, if ur concerned about knock down power. Personally ballistic tests have shown that there is a 9mm round that mushrooms to almost the diameter of a .45 round upon impact. The gun I carry everyday on patrol is my P220 which is a .45 caliber. I call it my "Widowmaker and Heartbreaker". I also fire 200 grain plus P rounds. With those rounds its just like the gun Joe Piscopo carried in "Johnny Dangerously", "Its an 88 Magnum ...shoots thru schools". If u decide to spend the high end money and get a Sig, insist on the new "K" trigger, it will make a great shooter out of an average shooter. Good luck, I hope u never have to use it but always remember to carry an extra magazine. By thye way Rueger makes a great revolver but I have seen frequent malfunctions with thier semi-autos.

I severely enjoy my Beretta PX4 40 cal. Smooth as silk and small enough to put a big hole in someone.

Ruger P-89 MKII 9mm- has an old school 15 shot clip + 1 in the pipe.

Glocks are great, but my fave is the good ol' 1911-A1 .45ACP.

i would have to say sigarms. i just sold my sig 226 .40 cal today. i have had it for 3 1/2 years and only took it out 2 times. only fired 200 rounds through it so i figured i did not need it that much if i am not using it. i got the thing so cheap i sold it to a dealer for more than i paid for it. dave

Kimber. Expensive for a Reason.

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 223
glock 19

I carried the glock 19 on patrol for years a loved it. Lightweight,well balanced,very few parts(means you'll clean it more often),never jammed(fired thousands of rounds)with the exception of intentional jams so you could learn how clear the weapon. As far as ammo is concerned i'll get back to you.NYPD uses a awesome 9mm round can think of it now and i'm not near the 9mm. I got my trusty s&w .38 special on me now.

Glocks are probably going to get the best results. I've shot a few and like them alot.

I really love my Beretta mini-Cougar. .40 cal... Fragmentation ammo.. 10 rounds.... Small frame so it's my carry piece.

Just can't beat how smooth this gun operates... not even my buddies Glock had an action that was as smooth as this. Close though... Closer than those no name .45's (dads) and Bersa .380's (wifes). Those feel like sand paper when you're operating the slide.

Whatever you get... GO BRAND NAME!!!! I've tried those cheaper no-name guns... they just don't compare.. it's worth the extra $1-300 to get something with a good brand.

Here's my baby...

Attachments

• IMAGE_059.jpg
    IMAGE_059.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 235
glock is outstanding-10,000,000 police and drug dealers cant be wrong
s&w sigma series was an almost exact copy-another great one

I have the .40 sigma. You can pick them up for 350.00 and after 1500 rounds and only 2 jams (I shoot reloads) I am very satisfied.

The S&W is sooo close to the Glock that they were sued by Glock. The only difference is they made the grip more comfortable than the Glock.

Here is my pistol:

Gun and 14 round mag pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

Work = S&W 4506 (yes, I know its a dinosaur w/ 5" barrel)
Off-duty = H&K USP Compact 45 :biggrin: :D

I've shot Glocks, nice gun but can't stand that saftey trigger. I guess one has to get used to it. I have no complaints about my H&K. Everyone that has shot it, love it, hardly a recoil even from the .45.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 200