Should I do the GNX dash?

I can load that pic... just not the ones at gnxdash.com even if I right click 'em.

aohell strikes again...

maybe something else?

Reply to Gus_Mahn...

Gus_Mahn, I think the company you're referring to was called "Quality Engineering", from Fenton, Mi.

'bye!

Claude :)

It was Quaility Eng. But I think they are long gone. Maybe not. I have never had any trouble with it. Have about 80000 on it. The speedo stoped once I think had it fixed at a local speedo shop.

A little late Chiming in..

Sorry I haven't responded to this post sooner.. it's been a busy month! Some quick details about the past and present GNX style dashes. A company called AVC was the brains behind the post GNX dash set ups. That company supplied six gauge dash units with VDO gauges to several companies ie. Kirbans, Kenne Bell, Quality Engineering. The company was bought by a British company mid 90's and stopped producing automotive products. I contacted them in 96 and bought all plans and left over parts and started a "comeback" in building these units. The original units were a "Pain" to install because of all the modifications the installer had to make to their existing cluster parts. Those painfully long and complicated installations was the first problem I rectified by providing pre-modified parts and cleaner wiring setups. Next I started re-designing the existing layout to add more gauges to the panel and our eight gauge panel was born. Last year we pushed the limit of available space and premeired our nine gauge Racer Xtreme panel which has been very popular since it's debut. The key to our success has been our commitment to customer service, our determination to provide you the best in parts and appearance, and our ability to build what you the customer wants! The are some exciting new gauges on the market coming out of Stewart Warner Performance which will only help provided you folks with what you want in appearance and function. As for the cost of having a custom built instrument panel hand built for you, PLEASE keep in mind that when I purchased my first AVC panel back in 1995, I paid $750 for it from Kirbans! Our VDO six gauge panels go out the door at $875 today... considering the rate of inflation and the advances in technology I don't think that's a bad deal at all! It's true the world over...You get what you pay for! So, to sum up.. Installation is almost too easy now even for a novice, we build the highest quality panel you'll find anywhere, and we're flexible to your needs and desires. Business has been extremely busy since Novemeber so if you're interested in having a dash built the sooner you call or write the better. Thanks again to all my existing and previous customers for their kind words and support! If anyone has any questions please feel free to drop me a line or call..

Tom Houser
Performance Instruments
www.gnxdash.com

PS: Check out the up coming article in GM High Tech Performance on the dash we're building for their test bed GN.:D

Yesterday I installed a 6 gauge white faced Stewart Werner setup I bought from Tom. It looks awesome, probably my favorite upgrade piece. It took me about 5 and a half hours, but I wasn't in a big rush and read every step over and over again until I was absolutely certain to what I was doing. My only real difficulty that I encounterd was unplugging a small 6 wire plug that came off of the stock cluster. The plug was a little different than described and was a real pain to disconnect, let alone get to. I had to remove the stereo and loosen up the environmental controls to get my hands up behind there to release the barbs holding the plug in place. Overall the installation was easy, just time consuming. My GN is getting a whole slew of performance upgrades thrown on it and I really didn't want A-pillar or console gauges in the car, the GNX style dash looks so much better than having those IMO. I'm really happy with this buy and highly recommend it.

GNX dash

Guy's Tom has said it ,customer service and build what customer wants. I installed my 8 Gauge dash last year and it was a breeze as he sends pictures with instructions and numbered instructions to follow . I had one problem with the speedometer not working and after a few phone tag sessions we figured it out,(because I bought the 120mph speedo instead of 160 the wiring was a little different . I look forward to buying another one in my next car ,and I spent close to $1200 as I added a white face knock gauge and a white faced EGT also,well worth the money to monitor whats going on..................If anyone would like a couple pictures just email me and I'll send you some........Stephen:D

P.s. Tom I will alway's plug your protect for you

i met GNut at sac raceway one time.

nice dash
nice guy
SUPER nice car.

his sons are GN fanatics too.

some guys in my club bought his dash and are very happy with it

-Evan

PS: hey GNut do you have any underhood pics of your car? i want one for my computer

I did my custom install last winter. It really wasnt all that hard but did get expensive. I dont know exact prices but I would estimate the dash complete and installed was around $500. I like it because its different. Here is a link:

Gage Panel

If the link does not work please e-mail me. Thanks and good luck!

Originally posted by d0n_3d
I dunno...I really LOVE the look of the GNX dash, but I am not sure how difficult it is to do and also the price is quite high for me...is the $900 really worth it? I just can't stand the factory setup anymore...:rolleyes:

How many of you have the GNX dash and did you do it yourself??? If not who did? Do you like it?
I got my dash from Tom, and it was a very easy install, all I can say is you get what you pay for and the dash was easy to install and looked really nice in carbon fiber autometer gauges, besides I got rid of the A piller gauges and made it look much cleaner inside the car. Jr.

If you like love) the GNX dash - YES.
I have the Cyberdyne digital & love it.
Only draback I've ever found is the $$.