should I remove a head bolt/ stud nut????

Amelio

So I have read a few threads regarding the head stud that requires an extra washer for better clamping. Needless to say I came across the thread after I had built my engine. My engine has been together for a few years now and I have not had any issues from it..

I just installed a set of solid rocker shafts and RJC braces and while the covers were off I took a second look at the stud and started to think.....should I pull the nuts off, add a washer and re torque????

Well I have had no issues but I also have not run the car past 17psi so it has not seen crazy cylinder pressure.... I ran the car earlier this year at 17 psi with no issues zero kr to mid ll's.

I up graded my rocker bars because I am going to try and hit the track next month and shoot for a 10 sec pass.....I figure I am gonna need 23-25 psi to do it.

With that said....should I pop that nut off add a washer and roll or should I leave it alone?

Has anyone installed studs and not added a washer and lifted the head due to this issue?

I am scratching my head here.....opinions please

I'm a believer in my grandfather telling me, "Boy, if it ain't broke, quit trying to 'fix' it".
If you aren't confident you might pull one nut at a time and add the washer, but I would be afraid of relaxing the clamp and creating a leak. I might not be the best guy to ask. My car has studs on one aide and original bolts holding a factory seal on the other. Remember, it wasn't broke so I didn't fix it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm a believer in my grandfather telling me, "Boy, if it ain't broke, quit trying to 'fix' it".
If you aren't confident you might pull one nut at a time and add the washer, but I would be afraid of relaxing the clamp and creating a leak. I might not be the best guy to ask. My car has studs on one aide and original bolts holding a factory seal on the other. Remember, it wasn't broke so I didn't fix it.

I am very much the same thought here....all I can think of is dicking with it....going to the track then having an issue.......

The photos in this thread might help you decide. I decided to leave mine alone - so far just fine.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?posts/2919553

Those are great pics....I remember I did start reading that post when it started but I never followed back up with it. I see you said you had about 6-7 threads showing with one washer which should be fine. I will go count the threads past the nut on mine and make my decision.

Thanks!

In the reference photo I counted 11 threads with the nut bottomed out on the stud. Mine (in the photo below) is showing 9 with stock head gaskets & surfaced heads. It's probably close but I'm going to leave it alone.

Attachments

• MIKE BUICK PICTURES 170.jpg
    MIKE BUICK PICTURES 170.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 111
I would add them. You are aware of the issue, have it apart, fix it. Or add them after the....

My motor has been running for almost a year now with no issues and the photo was taken when I was checking the valve lash. I'm now afraid of disturbing the stud seal but I will be sure and do it next time.

My motor has been running for almost a year now with no issues and the photo was taken when I was checking the valve lash. I'm now afraid of disturbing the stud seal but I will be sure and do it next time.

How much boost do you run?

I am concerned to disturb the seal if I add the washer....my engine has been together several years and zero issues.......and I dont pussy foot my car.......my fear is adding the washer then when I go to the track next month I am gonna run an additional 5-7 psi....if something happens like squeezing out the gasket the question now becomes....was it due to the additional washer not being there or because I loosened the clamping force when adding the washer????????o_O

As TexasT mentioned "if it aint broke don't fix it" I am inclined to leave it alone and not touch it.....I also feel that adding some boost is additional stress but I also feel that 23-25 psi is still not a crazy amount of boost. Hopefully when I get home I will have some time to go look and count the threads past the nut........

I've been running 20-21 on pump gas only for almost a year now. Never really had any detonation to speak of so I can't say that the head gaskets/studs have been over stressed. I would say that from the pictures that there is at least 2 threads left on my studs and I think something would have happened by now if there was a problem.

I just had my valve covers back off to replace the gaskets..... I counted the threads on the studs......

Driver side has 9 showing and pass side has 7......

I think I am going to leave it alone......I am trying to head to the track in a few weeks and I think the car may need to be 23 psi or so to hit my goal.....it still makes me a lil nervous but even more so if I touch it...............so I'm leaving it be.